Kernel_Killer
July 11th, 2004, 05:40
Thanks to Elmore and Strog my new found passion has surfaced. I aquired a Mac Blue & White G3 from Strog, and promised to get it back on it's feet. The HDD controller was bad, and had to have a a PCI controller added. So I grabbed a SATA controller, knowing that Mac had a bad case of have a bottleneck at the HDD data speeds. I then grabbed a copy of OSX Pather, and started to install. It instantly picked up the SATA drive with no issues. 45 minutes later (shorter than the 10.2 installs I had done before) it was running and ready to be set.

At first I was very surprised how fast the system responded, comparing to an iMac I had that was 300MHz running OSX Jaguar. This on is also 300MHz and at the time only had 256MB or RAM! Guess the SATA did help!

I started out setting up the network. After getting a connection, I noticed in the network control panel an options to setup IPv6!!! I quickly set it up for the IPv6 network it was on, and shortly after it was working great! I then started installing software I had, and downloading others. I first installed Microsoft Office:Mac (Yeah I know, but schools don't allow OO projects, plus I like Entourage), the Quicktime OGG Modules, DiVX codecs, VideoLAN, X-Chat Aqua, Fink (smooth install!), iTerm, Firefox, WSManager, and X-Lite.

After that, I thought I'd see how well the UNIX side of things worked out. I enabled root, and started diving into the depths of the terminal. First off I mounted the network NFS shares, and it kindly put the mounts on my Desktop. Then I tweaked Samba to share some other folders. Then setup VLS, streaming almost every format of movie to all the LANs, and even compiled bizfish's NWIRC (http://sourceforge.net/projects/nwirc/) without any problems what so ever!! I then went to Finder, and setup the Windows shares from the Wife's system. Once again, it was put on the Desktop just like the NFS shares. Thanx to HP, their LaserJet 1012 printer was OSX compatible, but no network drivers were made, so I couldn't use the shared printer on the Wife's system. After a bit of Goolging, I found that the CUPS drivers were ported to OSX, making it to where I could use the printer from the share.

I then grabbed an external DVD/CD Burner and while it was already booted and logged in, I pluged the firewire cable in. It instantly recognized it without any trouble at all! Then Installed Toast 6 Titanium (which is a bad@$$ CD/DVD burning software. Worth every penny!) and burned all sorts of CD's and DVD with no issues.

To make this long story shorter, I've been continuing to upgrade it, and putting my full attention to it. I think this is my happy medium. Most tell me, "Macs suck!" or "Why are you using a Mac?". Well with OSX I have the eye-candy desktop, reliable configuration applications, and the UNIX base that I'm so accustom to from extensive BSD use. Don't get me wrong I still love FreeBSD OpenBSD and NetBSD. This is just now going to become my workstation of choice. If you haven't used OSX, and love UNIX, I suggest you try it out.

elmore
July 11th, 2004, 11:04
wow is that the apple I sent to Strog? If it is, then it's been in a lot of S.E. members hand, if I remember right Krusty and minion have used it, eskwire used it, I used it, then strog and now you. With a few stops in between. Glad to know it's in such good hands.

Kernel_Killer
July 11th, 2004, 11:27
Yep, it's your old B&W. It's now at 832MB of RAM, ATI Raedon 9200 on the way, and going to grab a 1GHz CPU upgrade probably in the next week. Might even grab another SATA drive sometime. It is truely my favorite system now. :icon_smil