soup4you2
January 24th, 2003, 16:49
In my greater search of learning how to create DivX movies in FreeBSD, most of the procedures required you to use various utils or apps that are just not needed. Well, there is one extremely easy way to do this.
If you want to copy the VOB (DVD Video Object) tracks to your HD, it will use up around 5 to 6 GB of storage space... First, you need mplayer installed on this puppy, and when you install it, make sure you add in these options:

WITH_DVD=yes
WITH_LIBDVDREAD=yes
WITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION=yes

You also need a /dev/dvd link for your DVD drive.

Part 1 - Ripping with VOB

Install vobcopy:

cd /usr/ports/sysutils/vobcopy && make install clean

Make a directory to store your DVD's VOB tracks, cd /path/to/DivXdir/ and simply run vobcopy; it's smart, it will know what to do.

Next, you have a bunch of .vob files (VOB tracks). Just execute this:

cat *.vob | mencoder -o mymovie.avi
-oac mp3lame -lameopts br=192:vbr=2
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:keyint=250 -vop lb

Pretty easy, eh?

Part 2 - Ripping without VOB

This part is great. Let's just rip that DVD without copying the VOB tracks:

mencoder -dvd 1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts br=192:vbr=2
-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:keyint=250
-o output.avi -vop lb

Now in some cases, you might also want to run mplayer on your output avi to make sure you don't get the audio commentary, which has happened to me a couple of times. If you do have an audio commentary, try adding in -alang en or other language settings. You might also want to refer to the mencoder man page for further tweakage.

So now you can see that DivX processing in BSD is extremely simple... Good luck!

bsdjunkie
January 24th, 2003, 17:01
What type of file size can we expect for a typical movie? Or even a 30 min cartoon? :roll:

soup4you2
January 24th, 2003, 17:21
What type of file size can we expect for a typical movie? Or even a 30 min cartoon? :roll:

Typical movie size is around 600-700mb as for a 30min cartoon.. i'll re-encode a couple sealab 2021 and futurama episodes this weekend and let you know.... It also works great converting WMA files into AVI

bsdjunkie
January 24th, 2003, 18:46
Ooh, you got sealabs?? :shock:

soup4you2
January 24th, 2003, 19:25
all of the first season

Kernel_Killer
January 24th, 2003, 20:51
I've been looking fro a how-to like this forever!!! Thanx!!!

BTW. I have 20+ hours of Sunday night Adult Swim cartoons, which include about 9 SL2K1 episodes that are not ep1.

soup4you2
January 25th, 2003, 14:01
no problem...

try it out let me know how it goes.... i would recommend the non vob-transfer way..

schotty
January 25th, 2003, 14:56
thanks soup4you2 !!!

Appreciate the guide!

Kernel_Killer
May 31st, 2003, 20:32
I finally had a chance to try this out, but one thing I have to ask is, what app do you use to cut the file up into 650-700MB parts? Is mplex available for FreeBSD?

edit: Ok. I have 2.6GB of DivX. 2 in 2GB files, and 600MB in another. What to do?

soup4you2
June 1st, 2003, 11:17
really the best way i know to split them is by using a windows app called virtuadub chances are that it will run under wine...

Kernel_Killer
June 7th, 2003, 15:30
I guess you could always move them to a linux box and use mplex, unless that can work under FreeBSD also.

Kernel_Killer
June 7th, 2003, 15:40
Nevermind. Looks like mplex is in the ports now. :D

frisco
June 7th, 2003, 15:48
mplex is in ports on OpenBSD and FreeBSD.

cod3fr3ak
June 13th, 2003, 07:53
Sweet info Soup.

Strog
January 16th, 2004, 14:28
avidmux (http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/) is supposed to be a virtuadub-like program and it's in ports.

P.S.
Yeah, I know this is old but it's good info and I'm playing with it again.