elmore
March 2nd, 2003, 15:10
Well I started this thread earlier this weekend about Big Brother

http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312

Since that time I have found what seems to be the holy grail of network monitoring. Nagios, on first look I thought wow this looks pretty good. I've been reading docs and stuff all weekend, Nagios can do it all, monitor just about any service running on any host, all kinds of real time reporting, historical reporting, graphing, trending, uptime reports etc. etc. The list just goes on and on.

OK after that shameless plug I'll say this, if you want to look at Nagios be prepared to spend some time, actually a lot of time, I have done little more than throw up an apache server and gotten the shell up and running, so I can read all those pretty html docs.

There's a lot to configure, but in the end I think it'll be worth it. I'll post back in a few days, once I get some initial config do.

Nagios can be built right out of the ports. Nagios is also previously known as netsaint, check out http://www.nagios.org

elmore
March 19th, 2003, 01:44
I've been looking at this for a while now, one thing I can say now is that if you're looking at nagios do yourself a favor print out the 300 page manual and read it. There's a lot to do, and if you want to use the advanced features your gonna have to do a lot of planning. I'm just hoping it's worth all the time I'm putting in.

Strog
March 19th, 2003, 18:31
I realize that I suggested you take a look at Nagios.

[code:1:c28db92873]
Standard Disclaimer:
Any opinions, thoughts or actions are purely the property of Strog and most likely wrong and lame anyway. If Strog happens to be right then you can show your gratitude otherwise he is not responsible for implosions, singualrities or other spatial/quantum/etc. anomalies. We will go on the assumption that your home was already a crater or you forgot that it was in the way of a Vogon Hyperspace Bypass. Perhaps it was the act of a diety of some kind. Which deity would take the 4:00am flight to Oslo? You know where this is going.[/code:1:c28db92873]

elmore
March 19th, 2003, 20:53
:lol: Yes you are right Strog you did initially tell me to check out nagios, I was looking into Big Brither then netsaint, then you informed me about nagios (formerly netsaint). Have you ever set it up?

tarballed
March 19th, 2003, 21:01
Elmore,

I happen to come across nagios about 2 weeks ago. After I read through some of the documenationt, tested out the demo, I started to drool. This really could be a cool tool.

I am planning on setting it up at my work. I agree though. It takes a lot of time. It even goes to mention that in the FAQ: "Warning, this setup takes a long arse time! Read, read and when your done, read some more."

I am excited to learn it as well, but I have so many projects, i probably wont get to it for about a month or so. :/

Good stuff.

Tarballed

elmore
March 19th, 2003, 21:47
When I have it up and running you can fully expect a FreeBSD how-to

Strog
March 19th, 2003, 23:43
I have set it up on an OS that uses RPMS. I just got it up and running with some basic functionality but haven't gotten back to it to finish setting it up. I really need to reload that box with BSD and start over.

frisco
February 12th, 2004, 00:07
Updates anyone?

I've yet to get it working exactly how i want, but the only part that really bothers me is getting the 'Status Map' to work the way i want.

I'm currently running it on OpenBSD 3.4-stable, in chroot.

soup4you2
February 12th, 2004, 12:09
been running nagios for a few months now.. and i like it... does a great job..

tarballed
October 22nd, 2004, 14:42
Thought i'd update here.

Been working with Nagios for a better part of this week and have made some good progress with it. Like it was said in this thread earlier, it takes time as there are a lot of different things to learn and setup.

One thing I found that works great, is this section in the manual:

Tips and Tricks (/nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/templatetricks.html)

I setup about a dozen hosts to be monitored, a lot of them running the same type of services. For examle, MySQL, apache etc. Using the link above, I was able to keep my services.cfg file nice and clean by setting up templates and then just adding the hosts to each template as needed.

I really like what this offers and still have a few things to implement:

-SMS messaging to a Blackberry (we run Blackberries here off a Domino Server)
-environment monitoring

So far, looking good. I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Tarballed