soup4you2
August 11th, 2003, 10:25
Ok.. thought i would share my feelings on OpenBSD here.. been playing with it for a little time now..

OpenBSD is Extremely discouraging at first.. from the install to the initial bootup.. i had extreme difficulties getting php working the way i like it.. but i ended up removing it and figuring out the tricks. Yaa me..

Now that i've got most things up and running i'm starting to discover how nice this OS truely is.. though i still prefer the way the FreeBSD ports system works i end up finding myself using more packages on OpenBSD than the ports tree. is this bad? From Security to Stability this OS has it down..! Good job Theo.! Hopefully soon i can start playing around and comming up w/ some really cool things to do on it..

I really like the Chrooted apache though it was a pain to get mysql working right in it.. well now that i know it's not soo much of a pain..

molotov
August 24th, 2003, 03:07
Exactly what I found.

Hint: the floppy install is much, much, MUCH easier if you have the bandwidth.

the damn cd's I made had me running in circles

hugh nicks
August 24th, 2003, 17:46
your right. i've only installed fbsd once using a cd, and every other time i've used just the floppies. i just finished building my fbsd box on friday, and i was thinking about using the iso that i had downloaded, but wanted to see what kind of spped i could get with my new isp. btw, i downloaded the full disc one iso in under 15 min. (mmm....sympatico ultra high speed good)

Kernel_Killer
August 24th, 2003, 18:14
WEll, I have to say, Open is pretty damn nice once you get the shell the way you want it. :D

I'm really liking this OS a lot! The fdisk was probably the most frustrating things ever, but after reading the f'ing manual, it all made sence. Looks like I found a new one to get attached to. :wink:

hugh nicks
August 24th, 2003, 18:23
i had always had problems getting my head around that damn var folder.

v902
August 24th, 2003, 18:49
To me the fdisk wasn't hard, it was the disklabel, since i had no idea what a disk label was, or does, not only 'till I understood it what it was did I get it to work (duh) :D But I like Open, it's very nice and I got everything working smoothly, yup, all 3 binaries in /usr/bin do not conflict with each other :P

Kernel_Killer
August 24th, 2003, 18:57
WEll, I guess I can't say fdisk. The two together confused me. :P Very different from FreeBSD.

v902
August 24th, 2003, 19:12
Yeah, I like Free's disklabel, it can slice up everything for you so I can be as lazy as my full potential allows me to be!!! :D

frisco
August 24th, 2003, 19:48
To me the fdisk wasn't hard, it was the disklabel, since i had no idea what a disk label was, or does, not only 'till I understood it what it was did I get it to work (duh)

When i first installed OpenBSD (2.3 or 2.4, i think), i followed the install instructions pretty much to the letter, and it worked fine. I didn't know what the fdisk or disklabel were until 2.7 or 2.8, i just didn't need to, though i really should have read more.

Of course, i wasn't setting up anything fancy, like dual boot or even saving any data on the machine, i was just trying to get a computer to work from.