hugh nicks
September 5th, 2003, 15:37
i don't know if this is just me or what, but are the majority of members that use BSD, using Open over Free? i think i'm noticing more and more posts that are related to Open some how. maybe my brain is just playing tricks on me. you tell me. what's your OS of choice right now between the two? i though that Free is (was) much better suited for the desktop enviro. maybe Open has just really improved that much.

-hn

bsdjunkie
September 5th, 2003, 16:04
Ive been using Open forever and never looked back.... And it has improved quite a bit. :roll:

Former Member
September 5th, 2003, 18:16
I'm still trying obsd, I really don't wanna move to fbsd just because obsd refuses to boot.

bmw
September 5th, 2003, 18:38
I use FreeBSD/KDE as my desktop at work now, but for a few years it was OpenBSD. For desktop use, the differences between them are relatively few. For a while, it made more sense for me to use OBSD simply because it supported the Crystal sound chip on the mobo of the HP Vectra I had, while FreeBSD didn't!

What I have found is it's easier to get KDE up and running on FBSD, usually just adding a single package from the FBSD installer CD. On the other hand, I still curse (quietly) the FBSD install process. The OBSD install process is simple and effective.

I kinda need to be running FBSD desktop-wise now as we're an FBSD development shop here.

But really, the amount of cross-fertilization between them means that they are both great environments for servers and desktops.

elmore
September 5th, 2003, 19:04
I'm OBSD all the way nowadays. I used to use FBSD on the desktop primarily but I switched alittle while ago.

A simple desktop with all my tools is what I need and OBSD gives me that.

The laptop I'm posting from is running 3.4 BETA and it hums. I got mozilla-firebird built right right from the ports with all the gestures and plugins I need working, sound, and of course my favorite Window Manager fluxbox.

I started out using FBSD on the desktop and OBSD on servers primarily, but the more I got to know OBSD the more and more I liked it. Clean, Simple and effective. I also have to say I think OBSD is a lot easier to configure than FBSD but I'm sure some will argue that point.

Oh yeah one other thing. Open Office apparently builds now on OBSD, don't know if anyone saw the article on deadly yesterday or not.

Open just keeps getting better and better all the time! It's the O.S. I want to be around most!

my .02 cents.

frisco
September 5th, 2003, 22:24
Oh yeah one other thing. Open Office apparently builds now on OBSD, don't know if anyone saw the article on deadly yesterday or not.

The linux binaries run in emulation on OpenBSD. As far as i know, it still doesn't compile natively on OpenBSD, and it's a daunting task to get it working as to compile it requires 4gb free space, and a lot of time.

As for OpenBSD on the desktop, i started with OpenBSD 2.4 on my workstation at work and have followed it since, using it on servers when applicable. I still also use Linux, Solaris and FreeBSD for servers, and i connect via rdesktop/vnc/citrix to some windows machines for some necessary apps and troubleshooting.

OpenBSD-the-OS seems to really suit my mind, and it's probably most important that you find an OS that does that for you. Most can be secured, so personal ease of use comes next for a desktop machine. As for OpenBSD-the-culture, i can really appreciate the do-it-yourself first, ask for help second mindset, though some other aspects of the culture are somewhat distasteful to me.

As for features, i think i'll really like Solaris 10 when it comes out. Zones seem real tasty to me. I'd love it if OpenBSD had something similar, and i'd probably like linux/uml if i didn't always feel gassy after using linux (i think of linux and solaris as really greasy food - you get stuffed and bloated eating it and some types give some people gas; in my case, linux feels like it gives me gas).

No, i haven't been drinking, honest!