NullSpin
October 2nd, 2003, 22:21
I have been playing with 4.9 rc1. I'm running across a kernel compile problem that must be between the chair and the keyboard but strangely enough I can't see it.
Quick rundown. Copied the generic kernel called xxx opened xxx kernel added sound and commented out math emulation. Saved. Went back to /usr/src used make buildkernel KERNCONF=xxx
I get the error:

make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop

Any thoughts?

bmw
October 2nd, 2003, 22:28
Went back to /usr/src used make buildkernel KERNCONF=xxx
I get the error:

make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop
Why not just use the usual mojo:
[code:1:f13b08d849]cp GENERIC xxx
vi xxx
config xxx
cd ../../compile/xxx
make depend && make[/code:1:f13b08d849]

NullSpin
October 2nd, 2003, 22:36
Sorry to report. No vi skills. I'm without mojo. :cry:

Kernel_Killer
October 2nd, 2003, 22:56
You can always compile 'ee'. Easy editor for the non-vi user.

bmw
October 2nd, 2003, 23:09
Isn't that described in <sys/errno.h>? ... EMOJO: out of incantations

I don't mean literally you have to use vi. I just put that there as a shorthand for "added sound drivers ...". The thing is, after you hack up the config file xxx, you normally just say, [code:1:b942f5c204]config xxx[/code:1:b942f5c204] and then [code:1:b942f5c204]cd ../../compile/xxx
make depend
make[/code:1:b942f5c204]

NullSpin
October 2nd, 2003, 23:27
Sorry I was a victim of the literal interpretation. I was using ee instead of vi. Followed your lead and did the config and xxx was dropped in the ../sys/compile directory. Tried to do a make depend and got:

make: don't know how to make depend. Stop

Is it me or rc1. I have compiled kernels before. Apparently the long way, I'm getting no joy with either method. I do appreciate the responses though. One additonal question. If the process had worked and I had done a 'make' after the 'make depend' would I still do a 'make installkernel'?

bmw
October 3rd, 2003, 06:04
Tried to do a make depend and got:

make: don't know how to make depend. Stop

Is it me or rc1.
Personally, I'd say rc1! :-) It sounds broken, or they've changed something really fundamental.

If the process had worked and I had done a 'make' after the 'make depend' would I still do a 'make installkernel'?
I dunno, I never use that target. That sounds reasonable though. I usually just rename /kernel and ...[code:1:9f559989b6]cp kernel /[/code:1:9f559989b6]

soup4you2
October 3rd, 2003, 08:38

http://polymer.bu.edu/~fding/vi/

optyk
October 3rd, 2003, 21:29
can you recompile the GENERIC kernel?

soup4you2
October 3rd, 2003, 22:25
whats your /usr/src/UPDATING say about compiling a kernel...

perhaps it's changed..

Kernel_Killer
October 4th, 2003, 07:30
When you did 'make builkernel KERNCONF=KERNEL" you were in /usr/src right? Open up the Makefile, and make sure it says:

[code:1:c886f69780]# buildkernel - Rebuild the kernel and the kernel-modules.[/code:1:c886f69780]

on line 11.

NullSpin
October 5th, 2003, 03:53
Again thanks for all the responses. To answer a few questions. I was in /usr/src. I have not tried to compile the generic kernel. Maybe I will give that a shot tomorrow or later on today. I'm thinking that I will get the same result though.
I'm a little confused on 'the makefile'. Did a find on makefile and found two both in /usr/ports....... So I assume there is one more i'm not aware of. If it's obvious where i'm screwing up feel free to give me a shout.

|MiNi0n|
October 5th, 2003, 09:54
Did you manually fetch the source? If so, you likely grabbed the wrong src, if not your current source is hosed and you should grab some new source.

Strog
October 5th, 2003, 15:17
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/cvsup-advanced/script.html

cvsupchk can check through your sources and find inconsistencies. The more I dig through FreeBSD's site, the more goodies I find there.

ealwen
October 5th, 2003, 19:58
I just did a worldbuild yesterday myself. When I first updated my sources with CVS, I was using the CVSup11 server. When I tried to do a buildworld it stopped on some perl file (vnode.pl or something like that). Then just cause I was frustrated I randomly chose to use CVsup2 server to update and then buildworld, this time I got an error on a fortune file. So then lastly I changed to CVSup1 and updated and started buildworld again. This time it completed successfully and I was able to build and installworld with the new sources. I don't know what anyone else has experienced with the FreeBSD cvs process but this has been the second time (that I can remember) that my update process didn't work unless I used the CVSup1.freebsd.org server. Anyone else have this happen to them? Alternately Null this may be what is happening to you.

PS The process above also failed when I tried to use the GENERIC or my custom kernel file.

NullSpin
October 10th, 2003, 19:00
Well this is a first. Was not my fault. Installed RC2, kernel complied without any issue.