dave
October 7th, 2003, 00:32
Hrm,

I've been looking around the net for something I can use to do some load-testing on my FreeBSD boxes and are having trouble trying to find a viable solution that I can load test my kernal with, would anyone on here have any ideas of any opensource software that would be able to aid me?

Thanks,

- dave

rob897
October 7th, 2003, 00:59
You can try out this fully working trial http://www.paessler.com/webstress/?banner=GoogleWST2a I have not used it before, but someone at my work brought it to my attention.

dave
October 7th, 2003, 21:14
thanks for that link rob =)

Will download it and have a look, though I don't know how suitable it will be to me on this task as I have remote systems that I need to test, with no physical access to them. Would anyone have any ideas of natural BSD based apps that are designed to benchmark your system?

Been looking and haven't been finding, thanks all the same but

- dave

frisco
October 7th, 2003, 21:56
What are you looking to test?

Iozone, bonnie for fs test.
tcpblast, netperf, ttcp for network.
bytebench for overall performance.

For app specific testing, look at the server packages. Apache, mysql come with tests.

For some things you can develop your own using utilities like time, dd, scp.

After running the aforementioned utilities, i like to also run a pseudo real world test, like a tar/configure/make/make clean/rmdir for mozilla (time'ing each step, run a few times and average the results), or using dd or scp or something else.