bsdmetfan
October 7th, 2003, 14:30
I have a problem with running KDE 3.1.4 (after a successful compilation and installation from the latest ports tree).

The kdeinit hangs (and some kdeinit subprocesses crash) while the second icon in the graphical splash screen is blinking (a tool); speaking more technically, while running it I get the following:

# startkde --verbose
startkde: Starting up...
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 972, errno = 45
kdeinit: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 962, errno = 35
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 973, errno = 35
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used

It looks like some problem with communication via Unix sockets (that are created o.k., as it seems to me -- how to check it?).

I was of course seeking help at Google.com, but I just found out that it is a not answered problem also for some Linux users (apparently most often SuSE) and that it MAY be some kind of unlucky combination of GCC compilation options.

So I deinstalled KDE completely (including sockets it /tmp and ~/.kde), then tried to recompile KDE from ports, removing ALL cc/cxx flags in /etc/make/conf (even -march !) And... the same :(

I even tried to install KDE from packages! With identical final effects.

If you'd like to help me, you may want to look for my kde.init.core file;
it's available here:

http://www.krakow.homeunix.com/~kuba/kdeinit.core.bz2

I may also post my kernel config file if you want me to (I don't have access to it now when I am posting it, but can do it later).

Thanks for any help :)

Kuba.

socomm
October 7th, 2003, 14:41
From http://freebsd.kde.org

Current News

[2003-09-22]FreeBSD 5-CURRENT and KDE 3.1.4
The KDE on FreeBSD Team would like everyone to know that they know about the problems that 5-CURRENT users are having with upgrading to KDE 3.1.4, and that they are working hard at resolving these problems.

As it stands now, here's the rundown on FreeBSD and KDE 3.1.4:

FreeBSD 4-STABLE: Upgrading from ports and binary packages work.
FreeBSD 5-RELEASE: Upgrading from ports and binary packages work.
FreeBSD 5-CURRENT: Upgrading from ports will not work (at this time obviously there are no binary packages).

visit the above site, and grab the patch for KDE 3.1.4.

bsdmetfan
October 7th, 2003, 14:47
The patch DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM :(

This patch only fixes some path-related problems in Makefile and distinfo files, that previously caused errors during the compilation process.

While I CAN COMPILE the KDE, but CANNOT RUN it !!!

H e l p !

Kuba.