gorilla
October 8th, 2003, 00:20
Howdy all,

I live in an area where I can not get high speed access to the internet. I also have a LAN that has quite a few older machines. I setup a personal cvsup-mirror by following the instructions in the following article from onlamp.com/bsd
http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/1121

I am posting this because it has helped me keep all 16 of my machines current without have to go online with each and everyone one. The only thing that I had to do different for the machines to use the cvsup-mirror on my LAN was replace cvsup5.freebsd.org with the ip address of the server on my LAN, 192.168.x.xxx.

gorilla

elmore
October 8th, 2003, 00:52
nice gorilla! That seems like the way to do it!

dave
October 22nd, 2003, 03:18
Smart idea gorilla, might do that at work now that you've given me the idea, even though we only have a few bsd boxes at work it's still good to save some money on bandwidth, stupid australian data costs. Cheers for that idea, should have read your post earlier =P

- dave

Loop
October 22nd, 2003, 22:38
Dave ... I hear ya mate. I work for an ISP (no, I can't do deals :wink: )

I'm not restricted by data charges, but by bandwidth ... can't get broadband (and don't want satellite)

Whilst I don't run a cvsupd, I do share the ports to my three machines via NFS.

molotov
October 23rd, 2003, 00:18
I wonder how possible it is to use rsync to do it, that might be something cool i should look into...

Could also be done with samba if you want windows compat for some reason... (might be handy to run only 1 network file server, even if NFS is better in some regards.)

but yea, good idea man

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 00:55
Here's a question... Say you set samba up as a PDC can you get it to autnenticate though a NIS/YP server?

molotov
October 23rd, 2003, 12:06
I belive so, we were considering using samba as a PDC. heh Afaik, you can use samba to force a take over of a network. You can set samba's precedence, over the NT servesr, and hijack the network, get all the other previous PDCs to become non primary :>