rob897
October 8th, 2003, 12:41
http://www.freebsdmall.com/images/bp/bsdcomp4.gif

I bought this book last week since I did not have any books about the OS. This book is very informative, the CVS chapter was not as good as I thought it would be, but the chapter on Kernal customization is good. If anyone has this one how does it compare to Absolute BSD and/or the Official Handbook?

ealwen
October 8th, 2003, 20:55
I flipped through The Complete FreeBSD while I was in the bookstore the other day. It seemed to be a copy of the online handbook you can find on www.freebsd.org site. I was going buy it but decided to wait and see if I could find it for less that the retail price once I realized it was a copy of what I could look up online for free. I bought the book FreeBSD Unleashed a couple years ago myself. It had informative chapters on how to configure FreeBSD as a Web server, FTP server or Gateway that I have found very useful. I still refer to this book to see if it has a chapter on something I want to do.

rob897
October 8th, 2003, 21:17
I have the Barnes and Nobles Readers advantage card, so I saved 10% off the book. They had this one and Absolute BSD but I only read the online reviews for The Complete FreeBSD. Oh well, I will have to read up on the other books next time I am at the store, since I have a little better understanding.

soup4you2
October 8th, 2003, 21:25
heh when the hurricane came by here i lost power for about 3 or 4 days.. so on day 1 w/ out power i read absolute bsd and absolute openbsd cover to cover again..

talk about bored...

rob897
October 15th, 2003, 15:45
Damn soup your pretty devoted.. I would have fallen asleep after the first hour of reading.
In your opinion, do you like the Absolute BSD the best overall?