ealwen
October 10th, 2003, 00:35
So I have been looking at adding more of my 80G drive to my FreeBSD install. Currently I using only 40G and I want to add 20G more of the same disk drive. I want to add the space to /usr mount point. It seems that the only way I can do this is by moving my current /usr mount somewhere else, readjust the size of the old /usr to add the freespace, then moving the /usr back to the new bigger size mount point. This sound about right? I tried something like this before and it blew away my /usr directory, so I am a little wary about doing this since I don't want to have to rebuild my pc from scratch again. Any tips would be appreciated.

Former Member
October 10th, 2003, 05:48
Why not add a partition with a mount point of /usr/src ? Thats only going to be really handy if you use ports or src though.

ealwen
October 29th, 2003, 01:57
Well I want to increase the size of the existing /usr mount point. I really don't want to create another dir that mounts the space, I would like all of it to be available for the /usr mount.

elmore
October 29th, 2003, 02:01
good heavens man how big a /usr dir do you want?

molotov
October 29th, 2003, 10:56
Yes, copy /usr over, increase the size, and copy it back. I assume you have empty space, or a partion you can delete. If you have to shrink down something else, it might get a bit tricky. However, when messing with partions and filesystems, I'd always expect the worse and make a full backup, I've lost quite a bit of data over the years from not doing that. You can use cp, dd, tar, or a bunch of other utils to do the job. Just remember to store the permisions, otherwise it wont be much fun resetting them all.

ealwen
October 30th, 2003, 01:27
It will be 70gigs if I can do it. The reason is because I am going to try and start an FTP server so that friends can trade movies or music. 70 gigs isn't that much space when you start talking about storing those kind of files. One of my friends from NC has 18 gigs of music alone.

I know that there is the SE VPN but I have quite a few friends who I haven't convinced to convert to BSD. :( And I would like them to have access to a shared FTP server. Plus the fact that my broadband provider is running MS with NAT and I don't know if the VPN will be allowed through. I can VPN from my MS workstation to work so its worth a try. *shrug*