rob897
October 13th, 2003, 21:20
I know in Soups article we made a cvsup-supfile which was in /root now when I setup the crontab to update this do I use this same cvs-supfile, or should I create a new one in /etc?
Also once any ports are updated, do I need to rebuild world?

Sorry still new to the ports system!!

ealwen
October 13th, 2003, 21:29
If you just did a ports-all update this only updates stuff in the /usr/ports. You will have to do a src-all with the proper version tag to update the source files. If you update the source files it is usually to fix a problem and you would be doing a world build afterwards. At least that is how I use them.

After updating your ports you can do a portupgrade to any program that was installed before you updated them. Any new app you install will be the most current.

rob897
October 14th, 2003, 00:20
Ok thanks for the tip. So to do a port upgrade, do I just cd into the newer port and do a make install?

Loop
October 14th, 2003, 00:31
"portupgrade" is the name of the program that you can use to ... well ... upgrade ports :)

If you've installed it, you can simply do [code:1:678221d4c2]portupgrade portname [/code:1:678221d4c2]from anywhere (as root) and the port will be upgraded

rob897
October 14th, 2003, 00:43
Awesome. Man everyday I find myself wondering what took me so long to make the switch. Is there a BSD Switcher commercial thing I can do? LOL

ealwen
October 14th, 2003, 00:58
Portupgrade (pkg) is to upgrade an already installed port.

if the port was never installed before you did a cvs upgrade you can just
cd /usr/ports/whateverapp
#make install clean

At least that was what I tried to say in the post above. :wink:

rob897
October 14th, 2003, 02:06
That makes sense!!