tarballed
October 15th, 2003, 14:09
I'm flipping through the FreeBSD Handbook this morning and was checking the different ways to keep up to date with the ports tree as well as the source tree.

Right now, im using the cvsup utility to track the ports tree and it seems to be working great.

I was curious what utility most people use to track the FreeBSD source tree and what tree they track in general?

For instance, I notice that you can track several different branches of the tree: stable, current etc.

Whats the general consensus on a utility to use for tracking the tree and what tree is suggested to track? So far, I like cvsup, but im sure there are other, possibly better utilities out there.

Thanks.

Tarballed

soup4you2
October 15th, 2003, 14:14
update your ports via cvsup and cron job.. then in the mornings run pkg_version -L = to see whats outdated..

sources join freebsd-announce and wait for the advisories..

tarballed
October 15th, 2003, 14:18
update your ports via cvsup and cron job.. then in the mornings run pkg_version -L = to see whats outdated..

Good idea.

Since im going to run this particular FreeBSD box on a workstation, for learning, testing and general overall fun :) what branch should I track? current? stable?

Thanks.

Tarballed

Strog
October 15th, 2003, 14:52
If you have to ask then you probably don't want current yet. I'd suggest getting familiar with release and trying out stable once you are comfortable if you want to play with it.

FreeBSD only has one tree for the ports. You can get any date if you want a specific version if you want but it's supposed to build on release, stable and current. The developmental nature of current and even stable might mean that they don't always build without a little coaxing. cvsup is probably the easiest way to track ports. Throw it in a cron job (please not more than once a day at most) and check on the changes before you build.

If you follow stable or current then you want to follow the mailing list(s) to make sure you are aware of any issues that pop up from time to time. If there is an issue then you can wait for the fix and avoid some headache. Of course you can jump headlong into it and work out the fixes for yourself if you really want to have some fun. :wink: Try to follow the ports mailing list too so you can see what's going on.

rob897
October 23rd, 2003, 07:58
After doing the pkg_version -L = the list this shows, are these updated packages that need to be updated, or are these the recent packages that have been installed to my machine?

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 09:10
After doing the pkg_version -L = the list this shows, are these updated packages that need to be updated, or are these the recent packages that have been installed to my machine?

those are packages w/ versions that have higher versions in the ports tree.

rob897
October 23rd, 2003, 10:46
So just use the portupgrade for each pkg to update them?

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 10:50
for portupgrade i always like to use the switches -Rr

-r Act on all those packages depending on the given packages as well.
-R Act on all those packages required by the given packages as well. (When specified with -F, fetch recursively, including the brand new, uninstalled ports that an upgraded port requires)

so if you just want to update everything.. portupgrade -Rra would work good.

another good option for portupgrade is -s which will run the sudo command when needed.. so you can have a uid below 0 run the portupgrade. and it will sudo when needed.

Just a note though if you do a portupgrade -Rra be sure your pkgtools.conf has the switches you have given your installs or else they will be updated w/ the defaults..

here's an example:

[code:1:f3bbc99530]

MAKE_ARGS = {
'databases/mysql323-server' => 'SKIP_INSTALL_DB=yes',
'databases/mysql40-server' => 'SKIP_INSTALL_DB=yes',
'irc/bitchx' => 'WITH_SSL=yes WITH_IPV6=yes'
}

[/code:1:f3bbc99530]

Mysql is a big one.. or else it will overwrite your mysql table on each upgrade.. Hope this helps.

molotov
October 23rd, 2003, 12:07
ezunix.org has two excellent howto's I generally print them out and have them on hand for upgrading. good for a referenec.

rob897
October 23rd, 2003, 22:59
so if I want to just update gaim do I just do
portupgrade gaim

or do you have to do a deinstall 1st then reinstall?

optyk
October 23rd, 2003, 23:19
portupgrade gaim

should do the trick. portupgrade is a real gem of a utility. here's a good get-your-feet-wet primer

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

soup4you2
October 23rd, 2003, 23:28
i would prefer portupgrade -Rr gaim

molotov
October 23rd, 2003, 23:48
Id update the entire port tree using cvs, then cd /usr/ports/net/gaim;make install clean.

Loop
October 24th, 2003, 00:26
Id update the entire port tree using cvs, then cd /usr/ports/net/gaim;make install clean.
Won't this fail to install the updated port?