kremlyn
October 14th, 2002, 11:10
I'm back. I've been _extremely_ busy of late, but now I'm back and am picking up on some projects I had on the cards. The first involves an OpenBSD-specific links page (with links to all kinds of OpenBSD resources). The second is an OpenBSD IPsec VPN over Wireless connecting two subnets _and_ roaming nodes. It's good to be back.

A question I have for this section is:

How does one best go about upgrading ports/packages already installed on the system, to the latest version. Is there anything similar to 'portupgrade' on FreeBSD?

I'm hoping there is a way this can be done (even if it's not that easy); it'd be disappointing if you can't upgrade installed software on OpenBSD.

PS: Elmore, I'll be in touch soon.

--
kremlyn

bsdjunkie
October 14th, 2002, 23:26
AFAIK, obsd doesnt have the port upgrades like fbsd. I usually just track it every now and then with CVS and see whats changed, and install if needed. If someone knows a better way, let me know to :roll:

kremlyn
October 15th, 2002, 05:38
When you say you track CVS and reinstall if need be, how do you go about that?

I understand tracking CVS.. but when you reinstall, do you de-install the package and rebuild or what? And what happens to config files.. do you manually back them up elsewhere?

--
kremlyn

bsdjunkie
October 15th, 2002, 16:56
I uninstall the old one, and if there are config files for it, i do back them up. Not many ports i use require that though.