bsdjunkie
November 9th, 2003, 19:19
Anyone have a chance to pick up and try out Panther yet? Wondering if i should shell out the $100 or just wait to the next version...

frisco
November 9th, 2003, 22:54
What hardware will you run it on? I've heard there are some serious memory problems on some ibooks (won't even install).

My coworker got it the other week. There is some neat new gui thing, but i cant remember what it's called - makes switching windows rather neat. Otherwise i havent heard him say much else about it.

bsdjunkie
November 9th, 2003, 23:03
I got the G4 Quicksilver 733 with 1 gig ram. performance shouldnt be an issue :)

rob897
November 9th, 2003, 23:10
Frisco, that window thing your thinking of is Expose. I got to use it on an iBook all last week. Its ok, still not impressed with the quality of the iBook. For $1400 it should be alot nicer. Everything feels real cheap and brittle, plus the keyboard is terrible for people with bigger hands. From what I saw, the Powerbooks are the way to go for any mac laptop.... But now your talking close to $2000. Give me a Think Pad with FreeBSD running fluxbox any day IMO. :)

bsdjunkie
January 21st, 2004, 23:13
Well, I broke down and got it tonite.. so far its quite a bit faster... Ill post more after i had time to play =)

soup4you2
January 22nd, 2004, 09:49
i'm getting a mac this week i got off ebay and it's going to be loaded with panther.. cant wait. mmmmm

bmw
January 22nd, 2004, 14:05
From what I saw, the Powerbooks are the way to go for any mac laptop.... I concur! I haven't been so seriously impressed by a computer in many years as I have by my G4 Powerbook (running Panther). This is both my first laptop (that I purchased) and first Apple. They have done so much right, it astounds me.

But now your talking close to $2000. Give me a Think Pad with FreeBSD running fluxbox any day IMO. :)Yes, please: give me a Thinkpad running FreeBSD. I've been trying to get a newer FreeBSD running on my Thinkpad for a long time, with no luck at all. I was able to get 4.2 running on it by first installing 4.0 (hard to find ISOs for that nowadays) and building a custom kernel with USB and "green" code disabled, then doing an upgrade install and overwriting the upgraded kernel. It was quite a lengthy and annoying trick.

hugh nicks
January 22nd, 2004, 15:31
bmw said:
I've been trying to get a newer FreeBSD running on my Thinkpad for a long time, with no luck at all.
What kind of Think Pad? My friend is trying to sell me an older 390E, and I was going to use it for FBSD, but if there are major issues, I'm gonna have to put the kybosh on that.

-hn

bmw
January 22nd, 2004, 16:01
What kind of Think Pad?
It's an i Series 1200.
Thinkpad guts vary wildly across models, even among boxes in a series. I think they change the chipsets about every 3 months whether they need to or not! :-)
The best bet is to Google for your exact target and see what comments are out there, especially for the video support for X11.

bsdjunkie
January 22nd, 2004, 16:04
Also, be careful of the X series with freebsd. I have an X20 i use with openbsd, but the hibernation partiton shows up as the fbsd filesystem type, a lot of people were pissed off about that one. :P

elmore
January 22nd, 2004, 19:00
Yes, please: give me a Thinkpad running FreeBSD. I've been trying to get a newer FreeBSD running on my Thinkpad for a long time, with no luck at all. I was able to get 4.2 running on it by first installing 4.0 (hard to find ISOs for that nowadays) and building a custom kernel with USB and "green" code disabled, then doing an upgrade install and overwriting the upgraded kernel. It was quite a lengthy and annoying trick.

Hey bmw I'm sitting here with krusty in Atlanta and he says if you need some help with that stinkpad to let him know he'll fix it right up for ya! :twisted:

bmw
January 22nd, 2004, 19:14
Hey bmw I'm sitting here with krusty in Atlanta and he says if you need some help with that stinkpad to let him know he'll fix it right up for ya! :twisted:
I'm not sure I want to leave my precious stinkpad with a couple of hardcore PBR drinkers. Next thing you know, my poor machine will be running MacOS9 and hosting Neil Young bootleg concert tape warez.

Oh, and tell krusty to stop wimping out down to Atlanta and face our Canuck winters like a man! :-)

elmore
January 22nd, 2004, 19:25
I'm not sure I want to leave my precious stinkpad with a couple of hardcore PBR drinkers.

Well they were out of PBR at the bar today so Krusty enjoyed a few Miller High Life's. Another quality American product.

Next thing you know, my poor machine will be running MacOS9 and hosting Neil Young bootleg concert tape warez.

I have no comment for that. My guitars have been playing a lot of Neil Young tunes this week though.

Oh, and tell krusty to stop wimping out down to Atlanta and face our Canuck winters like a man! :-)

old minion likes it down here as well. Actually quite nice today. Real sunny approximately 68 degrees with a light breeze. That's room temp. for you celcius loving Canadians. :)

P.S. - I hear if ya shake that stinkpad vigorously it'll run better!

bmw
January 22nd, 2004, 20:12
approximately 68 degrees with a light breeze. That's room temp. for you celcius loving Canadians. :)
Old Celcius is no friend of mine. He's the Norse god of Fecking Cold, I believe.

P.S. - I hear if ya shake that stinkpad vigorously it'll run better!Tried that. Had to stop when the LCD started to get crazed like old china. Didn't run any better at all. Showed some promise when I powered it up, but that stopped when I gave it a few light taps with a concrete block.

Boy, I remember back in the day when I could drop my Commode 64 out of the 2nd floor window onto paving stones and it wouldn't degrade noticeably at all. Where has quality manufacturing gone?