Atlas
November 14th, 2003, 00:47
I'm trying to install KDE3 from ports and I'm getting the following error message:

configure: error: We need a working libXext to proceed. Since configure
can't find it itself, we stop here assuming that make wouldn't find them either.
[/code:1:82c1adef25]
This is a fresh install of 5.1, cvsup'ed and KDE 3.1.4. Any suggestions?

NullSpin
November 14th, 2003, 07:45
I usually build and install both gnome and kde when I build a fbsd box. I figure most of the things I end up installing use a kde/gnome dependency so I might as well just get it out of the way. Not a great use of space but modern machines have plenty.
In anycase. I tested my gnome install and when I exited it, something broke on the x-server. Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't recall what it was. This too was freshly cvsup'd. I took a shotgun approach and did a port upgrade and this moved me to the next rev of x-server 4.xx.06 which took care of the problem. Maybe it would work for you?
ns

optyk
November 14th, 2003, 09:29
Similar to what Nullspin said, sometimes you can pkg_add -r the failed component then continue the build. portupgrade after the build can then usually get everything up to date.

Or, just start with the package version and then portupgrade it.

Atlas
November 18th, 2003, 14:23
I went ahead and installed the package and then portupgrade'd it. Works like a charm, thanks!