Atlas
November 26th, 2003, 23:53
It appears the Dell Inspiron 8100's built-in modem is a 3Com Mini-PCI winmodem. I know there's a port for the Lucent winmodem, is there anything similar I can do to cajole this thing into working?

Kernel_Killer
November 27th, 2003, 02:51
You might give /usr/ports/comm/ltmdm a try. Might pick it up.

KrUsTy!
November 27th, 2003, 11:23
Well really the only hope is if the code that runs the winmodem has been released to the world such as the lucent did with code for some chips used in their winmodems.

So nothing to loose by trying the ltmdm port and see if it gets picked up, but sounds like it is likely not a lucent chipset in that winmodem. Nothing lost by trying. As far as I know lucent is the only one to released code to allow opensource drivers for their winmodems. But I haven't had to play with one in a while, so I could be wrong. Anyone know different?

Kind of sucks with all the laptops these days mostly using winmodems. I had a Toshiba 4300 at one point and it had a lucent winmodem that worked perfectly with the ltmdm port in FreeBSD 4.x. It was great, then I changed to a Toshiba 4600 and the winmodem was by someone else and it didn't work. I almost asked for my old computer back....

{K}

|MiNi0n|
November 27th, 2003, 11:26
It all depends on which chipset is the basis for that Winmodem. Ironically, I had a toshiba with a Winmodem (Lucent based) that ran better on FreeBSD using ltmdm (same as KrUsTy!) than it did in Windoze.

In order to find you you have to google the hell outta the winmodem model etc to find which chip it's based on.

Atlas
November 27th, 2003, 19:31
I'm sorry, I neglected to mention that I had tried ltmdm without success. I was fairly certain after a few hundred rounds of googling that I should probably have just brought my Xircom modem with me for the family togetherness. Thank you everyone for your input, I appreciate it.