psxndc
December 30th, 2003, 11:53
Not really a ports question, but I was wondering what message board software people were using under OpenBSD? I installed PHPNuke, but read somewhere that it was insecure. Slash is overkill because comment moderation is unnecessary and PHPSlash looks to be a little too simplistic. Any thoughts?

-p

btw, I'm back. :D

soup4you2
December 30th, 2003, 16:09
are you just looking for forum/message board software or a whole CMS system?

bsdjunkie
December 30th, 2003, 16:50
Ive always like phpBB2.

psxndc
December 31st, 2003, 09:44
are you just looking for forum/message board software or a whole CMS system?

I'd say forum/posting and comments. No need for any sort of content approval or workflow, just posting and editing of the main post and inline comments.

As for phpNuke, which I actually tried playing with last night, it may be gross overkill. I don't need to provide Amazon links or webmail or anything. I didn't understand before that phpBB was a subset of the phpNuke functionality. I think what I'm looking for is more along the lines of phpBB, but I wanted to see what people were using. A full-blown CMS is probably unneccesary.

-p

elmore
December 31st, 2003, 12:15
postnuke is nice, there's also e109 and drupal

for more just blogging there's movable type and cheese blog.

Obviously for forum software I am partial to phpBB2

soup4you2
December 31st, 2003, 12:28
sounds like you just need phpbb2

i've played around w/ a lot of msg board software and phpbb2 stands out in my opinion..

socomm
December 31st, 2003, 19:17
movable type.

Thanks that is more or less what I was searching for.

opus
December 31st, 2003, 21:04
Elmore,

You mean E107...right? That is my choice over all of them....not that it matters. :roll:

pick-master
January 1st, 2004, 01:22
Perhaps you could try:

http://phorum.org/

psxndc
January 1st, 2004, 19:33
I downloaded phpBB standalone and have been messing around with it. It's pretty cool, but I wish the style developers would include the PSD files with their styles. I want to just change the words in the logo in blueTab or just the graphic in skyLineGrey. *shrug*

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

-p

elmore
January 1st, 2004, 21:44
There's a mod that will easily allow you to change the logo across all templates. Checkout phpbbhacks.com

psxndc
January 5th, 2004, 20:28
Is there a way to have "headlines" on a frontpage which link to the start of a forum? If you follow the Mac scene at all: MacRumors is a good example. They have a front page with the "article" and then the "Comment" link drops you into the forums. You can then back out of the forums if you want and go to other forums. A friend said to me once, when i just had journal title and abstract up and you had to click through for the post, that it didn't make sense. He basically said "No one wants to click through to read a post. Just put the post on the front page." Now I'm being circular though since I'm double-backing to what I have now. Jeez.... the price of web vanity.

-p