elmore
October 31st, 2002, 16:14
I use attbi and in fact they do register your mac address. In fact they will also give you a hard time if you ask to change it. The way to get around this is to tell them that your network card died and you had top buy a new one. They'll change it no questions asked. I had to do this when I had my broadband connection setup. Cheers!

tmclau02
October 31st, 2002, 16:34
Hi, I'm looking to set up an OpenBSD firewall and router for my cable line from AT&T BI. I have been told by some people that ATTBI locks the MAC address of the original card that the service was set up for. Swapping out cards is not an option, the orginal computer on the line is not mine. How can I spoof thenew NIC's MAC address in OpenBSD 3.0 so it matches the original card? I've seen mention that it can be done but I'm not sure how.

Thanks,
Tom

frisco
October 31st, 2002, 16:48
I have been told by some people that ATTBI locks the MAC address of the original card that the service was set up for.

have you tried calling up ATTBI tech support and asking them to record a new MAC address for you?

tmclau02
October 31st, 2002, 18:29
have you tried calling up ATTBI tech support and asking them to record a new MAC address for you?

I wanted to avoid that only because the account's not in my name. I live in a three family house and I'm going to be sharing the cable line with my downstairs neighbors who I don't know too well and they don't really know computers too well. (They were amazed that you could share a cable line.) I've also never set up an OBSD router before so I'm not sure if it is going to work once I get everything in place. As a coursesy to my neighbors, I don't want them to have their cable connection not work until I figure things out if I have problems. I'd rather be able to just plug their computer back into the modem and leave them be while I try to fix the problem.

elmore
October 31st, 2002, 19:43
Well you can also add a second mac address to the service, I think they only charge a couple of dollars a month. Setup the firewall then remove the mac address you aren't using.

elmore
October 31st, 2002, 19:46
One last thought. There is a mac spoofing kernel patch available. Although if memory serves it is for OBSD 2.9.
I think bsdjunkie told me about it initially. Perhaps he'll stop by to shed some light on it, or, maybe you could pm him, I know he hangs out in the #screamingelectron IRC channel on freenode as well.

frisco
October 31st, 2002, 20:03
pardon my initial wariness, be sure you know what your AUP says.

do a search for "sea.c openbsd". compile it and run it before securelevel is raised above 0 - placing it in /etc/rc.securelevel should work. read through the beginning comments in the file for more info.

i think someone had also written a patch for ifconfig to do this, search the archives for more info.

i've used sea with 2.8-3.1, havent had a problem.

bsdjunkie
October 31st, 2002, 20:21
There is a mac spoofing kernel patch available. Although if memory serves it is for OBSD 2.9. Thats correct, after 2.9 the code was actually introduced into the kernel so you no longer had to patch anymore. You can now write programs to spoof the MAC. And as frisco mentioned. sea.c is reported to work well.

tmclau02
November 1st, 2002, 14:03
Thanks everybody for all your help. I'll take a look at that program you mentioned and get it up and going on my box.

Tom

tmclau02
November 5th, 2002, 14:25
I want to thank everyone for their help. My OBSD box is up and running now and my network is humming along smoothly. Thanks for all the help.

Tom