NullSpin
February 2nd, 2004, 22:17
Once again I have searched high (google) and low (bsd forums) for the answer to this question and have come up with bupkus. I have a laptop running freebsd 5.1 with a track pad for the local mouse and on the back a keyboard and ps/2 mouse port. (2 seperate ports)
I have the laptop on a kvm switch. The (external) keyboard works fine but the (external) mouse never gets picked up. The track pad mouse works fine. Do I have to have multiple entries in the XF86Config file, for input devices? i.e. mouse0 and mouse1 Right now I just have mouse0. Is there somewhere else I have to define the mice?
Oh, I have a similar model laptop at work an and the same exact thing happens without the kvm switch so I think we can eliminate that as the source of the problem for now.
I know this is relatively light on the minutia, but I thought the broadstrokes might suffice in this 'newb' situation.
Thanks in advance.
ns

NullSpin
February 4th, 2004, 18:09
C'mon I know one of you freebsd guru's with a brain so big you've got to drag your now calloused head around has an at least some type of answer to this question. I'm begging you to help a brother out.
:P
ns

socomm
February 4th, 2004, 18:43
http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/RELNOTES4.html

A new section called ServerLayout has been added to allow the layout of the screens and the selection of input devices to be specified. The ServerLayout sections may also include options that are normally found in the ServerFlags section. Multiple ServerLayout sections may be present, and selected from the command line. The following example shows a ServerLayout section for a dual-headed configuration with two Matrox cards, and two mice:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout 1"
Screen "MGA 1"
Screen "MGA 2" RightOf "MGA 1"
InputDevice "Keyboard 1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse 1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Mouse 2" "SendCoreEvents"
Option "BlankTime" "5"
EndSection

http://www.xfree86.org/4.3.0/mouse.4.html

Name
mouse - Mouse input driver
Synopsis

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "idevname"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "protoname"
Option "Device" "devpath"
EndSection

Description
mouse is an XFree86 input driver for mice. The driver supports most available mouse types and interfaces. USB mice are only supported on some OSs, and the level of support for PS/2 mice depends on the OS.

The mouse driver functions as a pointer input device, and may be used as the X server's core pointer. Multiple mice are supported by multiple instances of this driver.

Now if you excuse me, I have go sand down my callous :P.

NullSpin
February 5th, 2004, 08:34
O' Giant One, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. In the next life may you have longer arms so you can give the callouse, all the attention it needs.
Seriously if I'm reading that correctly I only need multiple instances of the driver statement inside the section 'input device' for the mouse? I wasn't sure if I needed another section entitled 'input device' for the external mouse or a subsection in the original section. Hold on i'm making myself dizzy.
Any additional thoughts on my confused ramblings? I look forward to what i'm sure will be a defining moment in my freebsd infancy.
Thanks
ns

socomm
February 5th, 2004, 10:51
O' Giant One

:lol:

I think you are on the right path, add another section for your second mouse and add it to your server layout as "Mouse2". See the following (http://homepages.which.net/~adrian.west/pavillion_subpages/thanasis_pavillion_xf86config.html):

Server layout:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
Screen "screen1" 0 0
Option "Xinerama" "on"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Mouse2" "SendCoreEvents"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Input Section:

Section "InputDevice"
# Option "ChordMiddle"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Emulate3Buttons"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"# ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse2"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/usbmouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Best of luck,

PS: "Happens to every guy sometimes this does." --Yoda