blackmilk
February 3rd, 2004, 08:52
The man page says this first appeared in 3.5, so I imagine this is still in testing.

I was running dmassage, which was suggested in a book(Absolute OpenBSD i think) and I noticed viaenv, naturally it lead me to my current situation..

[code:1:83022e15d7]
sysctl -A
hw.sensors.0=viaenv0, TSENS1, temp, 33.40 degC / 92.12 degF
hw.sensors.1=viaenv0, TSENS2, temp, 27.73 degC / 81.91 degF
hw.sensors.2=viaenv0, TSENS3, temp, 23.70 degC / 74.66 degF
hw.sensors.3=viaenv0, FAN1, fanrpm, 4440 RPM
hw.sensors.4=viaenv0, FAN2, fanrpm, 0 RPM
hw.sensors.5=viaenv0, VSENS1, volts_dc, 1.78 V
hw.sensors.6=viaenv0, VSENS2, volts_dc, 0.06 V
hw.sensors.7=viaenv0, Vcore, volts_dc, 3.42 V
hw.sensors.8=viaenv0, VSENS3, volts_dc, 5.10 V
hw.sensors.9=viaenv0, VSENS4, volts_dc, 12.07 V
[/code:1:83022e15d7]
[code:1:83022e15d7]
VIAENV(4)
Sensor Units Typical Use
TSENS1 uK CPU temperature
TSENS2 uK System temperature
TSENS3 uK Unknown
FAN1 RPM CPU fan
FAN2 RPM System fan
VSENS1 uV DC CPU core voltage (2.0V)
VSENS2 uV DC North Bridge core voltage (2.5V)
Vcore uV DC Internal core voltage (3.3V)
VSENS3 uV DC +5V
VSENS4 uV DC +12V
[/code:1:83022e15d7]

I assume the sensord.conf file exists primarily so you don't have to edit sysctl.conf and also to have its own place.

I've checked the openbsd page and found very little, deadly.org had an article on it finally being worked on.

Does anyone use this feature? I've set up the config file with the values I found in the sysctl output, as of yet, I've seen nothing though.

Has anyone implemented sensorsd in a useful/interesting fashion?

frisco
February 3rd, 2004, 09:33
I assume the sensord.conf file exists primarily so you don't have to edit sysctl.conf and also to have its own place.

hw.sensors.* aren't settable values and so sysctl.conf would do no good.
sensorsd is a program that checks the sysctl reported values and sends syslog messages once a value is tripped.

Does anyone use this feature? I've set up the config file with the values I found in the sysctl output, as of yet, I've seen nothing though.

Unfortunately the only machines i'm running -current on don't have the hardware.
If you set the sensorsd.conf values lower than one of the values you see, or if you unplug a case fan, you should get some syslog messages about the temp.

Has anyone implemented sensorsd in a useful/interesting fashion?
Right now, in 3.4-stable, i just syslog the values for my home machine. These get logged onto my syslog servers at work, and by monitoring the logs at work i can see when i've forgotten to close the window at home, or when the landlord is messing with the heat. It gives me a comfty feeling knowing it's not too cold for my cat.
I originally started logging the values b/c my machine was rebooting and i thought it was due to heat, but i've since added another case fan and haven't had the problem since. I'm still curious how far i am from tripping the bios temp watchguard, so i'll probably disconnect the fans and record the values for future reference.

At work we use the temp monitors (though mostly via Sun/Solaris, still same concept) as another warning sign in case the a/c goes dead. If your hardware doesn't already power down, you could use this to shutdown your machine when danger values are tripped. Or add in a few case fans that only turn on (via parallel port i guess) when a value is tripped.

blackmilk
February 3rd, 2004, 11:30
Ahh that makes sense, I'll have to drop the values in the sensorsd.conf file.
I followed the syntax given in the sensorsd.conf file.

I'm curious as to how you can start a case fan on the software level? The fan in my case is connected to the PSU and starts rotating as soon as there's power...

Thanks for the location of the error messages, I didn't see any reference to it in the man pages.

I like the machine shutdown application :) I'm thinking about applying it to gkrellm and the MTA.

frisco
February 3rd, 2004, 12:44
I'm curious as to how you can start a case fan on the software level? The fan in my case is connected to the PSU and starts rotating as soon as there's power...

Place a couple 120mm fans into the side of your case. Hook up a relay through the serial or parallel port of your computer to turn the fans on/off. Write up a little script to send the correct signal through the correct port to turn on/off the relay, which then turns on/off the fans. You'd need to route the power to the fans through the relay switch.

blackmilk
February 3rd, 2004, 12:51
My todo list is going to be seriously burdened. Relay switch and scripts, Interesting to meet signals in the scripts though, something i've always wondered about.
Thanks for the tip!