elmore
November 2nd, 2002, 02:26
So 3.2 came out today, anyone installed it yet? Any initial opinions?

bsdjunkie
November 2nd, 2002, 12:51
Been running -current for awhile, so its not that different ;)
but the new lyrics are up at site as well...

http://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html

:roll:

frisco
November 2nd, 2002, 14:55
there is less for me to do after the new install. portmap is off by default, fstab is sane by default. watch out for X problems if you switch from X to a vterm and back - due to X not running as root things arent permed right. pf from 3.1-3.2 went through a lot of changes, it's rather beautiful now. there are a number of new ports as well. the release notice and plus31.html cover everything else.

All in all, this release is another wonderful step forward.

elmore
November 2nd, 2002, 16:44
Nice, it's nice to hear rc.conf looks better than in the past, I'll be looking forward to those changes in pf as well.

frisco
November 2nd, 2002, 19:04
i got my cd's in the mail today. the whole insert follows a day in the life of Agent Puff Pond, as he foils yet another attempted system crash by Doctor S Kitty.

how come i dont see screaming electron in the 'donations' list????
by 3.3 that list will need a whole cd of its own

elmore
November 2nd, 2002, 19:47
That's a good and worthwhile idea frisco, If I had any significant amount of money to offer the OpenBSD project I would do it, perhaps.....

Perhaps a drive here on screaming electron where all members could donate what ever pocket change they possess might be worthwhile.

Up until know I have supported the project three ways.
1. Always ordering each release.
2. Buying new t-shirts whenever they come out.
3. Buying posters when they are released.

tarballed
November 8th, 2002, 11:53
Hey hey...just got 3.2 up and running last night. Was fairly straight forward install. Simle and easy.

However, I had a little problem getting the firewall up and running correctly with NAT. The reason was that I was unaware that pf was changed in 3.2. A quick trip with lynx to openbsd.org and the FAQ was all I needed. :)

Once I had my pf.conf in the correct order, everything was ran smooth.

I also noticed what frisco said:

portmap is off by default, fstab is sane by default

I kept notes from my last install (still learning :D ). And when I went to make some basic changes to shut items off, I noticed portmap was off by default. Pretty cool stuff.

Anyways, i'm going to start a quick thread about patches again...I have a question that I came across last night when installing the first patch for 3.2..

I'll see everyone over in the new thread. :)

Tarballed

mca1
November 12th, 2002, 11:56
Its a great release. the slightly saner fstab and portmap off by default were welcome additions as was the stripping out of even more suid binaries. It saved me a bit of time on my install

elmore
November 12th, 2002, 11:59
Hmmmm...., anyone heard anything about quotas? Better, anyone know if quotas are indeed hosed with 3.2? Some people were talking about that in #openbsd the other night on OPN.