tarballed
February 10th, 2004, 20:36
Here I am again. :)

I've run into a particular project that im working on that requires the MTA to pass AUTH to the lmtpd process (Cyrus) in order to get ACL's to fully functional which I need in order to setup bulletin boards and ensure only the necessary people can access them.

The problem I ran into is that Postfix does not pass AUTH= off to LMTPD process which will result in ACL's not working the way I want (basically, anyone could see anything that I create).

Now, I know I have one option and that is Sendmail. I chatted with a few people on the list and they verified that they were in the same boat I was in and were forced to use Sendmail to get exactly what they needed. Sendmail, although huge, gory and flat out a bear to learn, as a lot of things that I find promising. It has a huge community following and there are a lot of things that are appealing to me. However, setting up sendmail, hacking the config and trying to understand the config is another story.

Now, I have not confirmed it yet, but Exim may be another option. It supposedly will pass AUTH= to lmtpd. However, I know absolutely zilch about Exim.

So I was hoping that people could post what they know about Exim and if it is something I should consider looking into, or should I stop screwing around and jump into sendmail. :)

Also, I looked at qmail, and dont like it at all. :)

Tarballed

soup4you2
February 11th, 2004, 15:49
No idea...

But i have some good news..

I just saved a ton of money by switching my car insurance over to geico..

tarballed
February 11th, 2004, 19:38
I just saved a ton of money by switching my car insurance over to geico..

ROFL!!

That was a good one. That made my day better.

Anyways, haven't had a chance to research Exim that much (but everyone whos uses it swears by it). Sendmail ::shudder:: is a bear to learn. Hell, even to get started with it is a royal PITA!

Tarballed

elmore
February 17th, 2004, 16:11
we have a couple of hosting servers at Pretty Red Star running exim. It runs for the most part and I have not had any problems with it but when given the choice I'll still run postfix.

tarballed
February 17th, 2004, 17:37
we have a couple of hosting servers at Pretty Red Star running exim. It runs for the most part and I have not had any problems with it but when given the choice I'll still run postfix.

Postfix is my favorite MTA as well right now.

However, in order to get bulletin boards and shared folders to work correctly with ACL's, I went with sendmail. I've been cutting my teeth on it for about a week now and finally am starting to get the hang of it.

For one thing, it is very very robust and seems to have endless options you can specify in your .mc file. Right now, I have smtp-auth, starttls and milter working in conjunction with cyrus....

I will say this though: It's a beast to get started with.

Tarballed