r00t
February 26th, 2004, 15:16
Hello guys!

I hope one of you can help me here, I want to install FreeBSD 5.2 on my Toshiba Libretto. I have to install from a DOS partition as the only option (except laplink which I don't have) I have made a tiny FAT partition ad0s1 where I have a catalogue "Freebsd" with the 5.2 distro. I boot on the two floppies just fine and use the A option to partition the rest. When I'm going to start install I get the following error message:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Error mounting /dev/ad0s1 on /dist: Operation not supported by device (19)"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any ideas??

Vile
March 5th, 2004, 02:36
You might want to post this in the FreeBSD section instead of the OpenBSD section. :)

optyk
March 5th, 2004, 09:45
Are you selecting Standard installation or Custom installation?

socomm
March 5th, 2004, 15:41
You need to copy the files from the distribution (Eg: CD-ROM, ISO, FTP) into a directory called `\FREEBSD', within your primary MS partition. For example, to do a minimal installation of FreeBSD from MS using files copied from a CD-ROM mounted on E:, you might do some thing like this:

[code:1:724845da55]
MKDIR C:\FREEBSD
XCOPY /S E:\BIN C:\FREEBSD\BIN
XCOPY /S E:\FLOPPIES C:\FREEBSD\FLOPPIES
[/code:1:724845da55]

You need the FLOPPIES directory, because that's where sysinstall looks for the boot.flp, the first image in every installation.

The only directory required is bin. You can include as many other directories as you like, but be sure to maintain the directory structure.

Good Luck!

Strog
March 6th, 2004, 00:01
I moved this topic over to the appropriate forum.