maestrotom
August 8th, 2002, 08:45
Hello all-

I am a bit of a newbie to openbsd and am having a bear of a time getting XFree86 4.1.0 up and running on my default install. (OpenBSD 3.0)

I have run the initial -configure command and go the grey screen with the black X cursor but I cant seem to edit the config file? Is vi not capable of editing the config file??? (yes it might be a dumb question but I am new to 'Unix like' OS's and am still learing the ropes...)

If you have any tips I would greatly appreciate them.

MaestroTom

pinhead
August 8th, 2002, 10:23
v3.0 has 2 Xwindow implementations 3.x & 4.x
differnt hardware (vid card) can mean different version

ie not all drivers in both versions

go to /usr/X11R6/bin

u use XF86Setup for one and xf86cfg for the other (3,4), SuperProbe is useful to figure out your HW

be careful with monitor settings - i think X is an example of SW being able to destroy HW if you set monitor setting outside what monitor is capable
you have to RTFMonitorM

elmore
August 8th, 2002, 11:23
You'll need to check XFree86.org to find out if your video card is supported under the X4 branch. If it is I always do the following:

#/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -configure

This should place a new config file called xf86config.new into your current dir. From there I always just run.

#/usr/X11R6/binXFree86 -xfconfig XF86Config.new

If you're getting a test screen grey screen with a cursor you should be pretty good. From there you'll need to edit your XF86Config.new file and add your VertRefresh Rates and HorizRefresh rate set your default Depth and Modes then copy XF86Config to /etc/X11. You should be good.

-elmore-

illusion
August 8th, 2002, 23:15
The FreeBSD handbook at freebsd.org has a great section on configuring the XF86Config file.