sde
March 6th, 2004, 19:42
hi, .. this is sde from over at codenewbie .. appropriately enough this is a total newbie question ..

just installed freebsd 4.9 because it has come up so much recently that i think i decided i need to work with it.

so .. here it goes ..

i was just trying to add a user, because i can't seem to ssh in with root.

so i tried to add a user .. 'useradd' no, .. 'adduser' yes .. it recognized that command, but i seemed to mess something up in the process.

#adduser mike

after a few prompts, i get stuck on this message now: "usernames must match regular expression: [adduser mike]: "

i quit out of that command and tried adduser mike again, but now it keeps giving me that message.

soooo .. how do i add a user? heh, i thought i'd ask here being the freebsd forum that i refer friends too when they try to ask me bsd questions .. hehe

i'm sure there's more q's to come.

-mike

Kernel_Killer
March 6th, 2004, 22:47
Hi sde!!!!

You need to add various flags to the adduser command to add a user w/o issues. Like group, home dir, shell type, etc, etc. To make it easy, you can run /stand/sysinstall, and then go to Configure, and User Management. Fill in the user info, and viola! user ready to go. :D

socomm
March 7th, 2004, 00:36
I hate to say it but, this is pretty well outlined in the Freebsd Hand Book (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/users-modifying.html#AEN9495).

sde
March 7th, 2004, 01:27
thanks KK.. that got me on track!

and oh, .. did i just get flamed by socom? rtfm? lol thanks for the link anyway buddy. :wink: living here all my life and i'm still not used to the southern ca snottiness. hehe

silly me, what was i thinking when i clicked on that link that said "Get Help in the Forums!"

did i also miss the "RTFM before you ask questions?" post?

now maybe next time someone searches the forums for "Add User" they will find this post and KK's useful information .. and the manual link too.

that's cool though .. i've never even been to that site. didn't know they had good documentation online.

thanks guys!

elmore
March 7th, 2004, 03:57
sde welcome to S.E.

I don't think it was socomm's intent to flame merely to provide useful information to you. Anyways glad to see you got your issues all fixed up. Hopefully these will be the first of many posts from you!

Welcome to Screaming Electron!

socomm
March 7th, 2004, 12:18
and oh, .. did i just get flamed by socom? rtfm? lol thanks for the link anyway buddy. :wink: living here all my life and i'm still not used to the southern ca snottiness. hehe

silly me, what was i thinking when i clicked on that link that said "Get Help in the Forums!"

did i also miss the "RTFM before you ask questions?" post?

That was not meant as flame ..... I'll leave at that since I don't wanna get into a pissing contest.

sde
March 9th, 2004, 11:26
doh, sorry guys. :oops:

soup4you2
March 9th, 2004, 13:51
i was just trying to add a user, because i can't seem to ssh in with root.

*Evil thought* :twisted: *Evil Thought* By default ssh DOES NOT ALLOW root.! This is verry bad to allow root to ssh..

so i tried to add a user .. 'useradd' no, .. 'adduser' yes .. it recognized that command, but i seemed to mess something up in the process.

try just

>adduser

Read the handbook.... it's your friend....