Kernel_Killer
April 8th, 2004, 02:40
If any of you are planning on dooing the 2.6 upgrade, you might want to read these notes I have so far.

Just like any other major upgrade of packages READ /usr/ports/UPDATING!!! It will mention NOT to use portupgrade. From what they say, this could really mess up GNOME. Anyways, follow the instructions. Download the script, run it, sit.

This really takes a long amount of time. As of this typing, it is STILL compiling on two of my systems. So far, one, the 5.2.1 box with an AthlonXP 2400+, has been compiling for an average of 6 hours (5th compile due to errors) and has a very limited amount of GNOME apps. If something fails, you will have to re-run th script, and it pretty much starts from the very beginning again.

One problem I found on the 5.2.1 box was that the script likes to update pretty much everything. The one I will point out is Freetype2. Most of that packages DO NOT like Freetype2 2.1.7, and you will have to download the 2.1.5 bz2 file, throw in /usr/ports/distfiles and edit your /usr/ports/print/freetype2/Makefile and distinfo accordingly.

On the 4.9 box, it's not having any issues as of yet, but since it has both KDE, GNOME and various GNOME apps, it has been compiling for over 18 hours so far (AthlonXP 2000+). Just wanting to warn you if you have a lot of these packages.

Near the end you will usually have a package that doesn't want to play nice. Simply deinstall it and then run the script again. Install after the update is done. I will post more notes later as things progress, and when I remember what I left out.

nutznboltz
April 8th, 2004, 14:22
This really takes a long amount of time. As of this typing, it is STILL compiling on two of my systems. So far, one, the 5.2.1 box with an AthlonXP 2400+, has been compiling for an average of 6 hours (5th compile due to errors) and has a very limited amount of GNOME apps. If something fails, you will have to re-run th script, and it pretty much starts from the very beginning again.Would be nice if there were binary packages so that "portupgrade -P" worked.

Kernel_Killer
April 8th, 2004, 16:20
Even so, it would still mess it up. portupgrade does not upgrade it correctly. Of course you can always wipe GNOME off your system and install 2.6 fresh.

nutznboltz
April 9th, 2004, 08:13
Even so, it would still mess it up. portupgrade does not upgrade it correctly. Of course you can always wipe GNOME off your system and install 2.6 fresh.

Look at the script. It uses portupgrade on individual packages. You can cause the script to call portupgrade with -P by fiddling with an environment varible.

nutznboltz
April 9th, 2004, 08:19
On the 4.9 box, it's not having any issues as of yet, but since it has both KDE, GNOME and various GNOME apps, it has been compiling for over 18 hours so far (AthlonXP 2000+). Just wanting to warn you if you have a lot of these packages.

Hmm. one of my boxes with full GNOME has only 1.2GHz Celeron and it finished in about eight hours or less. I did set $PORTUPGRADE_ARGS env. var. to -P before starting and there might have been some binary packages that it skipped compiling.

pilot# setenv PORTUPGRADE_ARGS -P
pilot# sh ./gnome_upgrade.sh

Kernel_Killer
April 9th, 2004, 21:53
wonder what the big deal is then. :?

They even have a section on how to fix it if you do portupgrade. Something is odd for sure. Why they didn't just say to do portupgrade -P is beyond me.

What version of Free are you using? How many GNOME apps did you portupgrade?

nutznboltz
April 10th, 2004, 11:10
wonder what the big deal is then. :?

They even have a section on how to fix it if you do portupgrade. Something is odd for sure. Why they didn't just say to do portupgrade -P is beyond me.
There's a huge difference between what the script does and what "portupgrade -P" does. I wrote that the script uses portupgrade on individual packages e.g. "portupgrade foobar" not "portupgrade -ra"

[code:1:92453cea83]pilot# setenv PORTUPGRADE_ARGS -P
pilot# sh ./gnome_upgrade.sh[/code:1:92453cea83]
That runs the script but adds -P to the arguments of the calls to portupgrade that it makes.

What version of Free are you using? How many GNOME apps did you portupgrade?
Some sort of 4.9. I turned the Celeron box off so I can't check it right now. It has a full GNOME installation from running "portinstall gnome" some time in the past. It had some additional packages added I'm certain I added firefox, gnumeric and AbiWord if they weren't there in the base installation of gnome.

nutznboltz
April 11th, 2004, 09:19
[quote:56318b62e6="Kernel_Killer"]What version of Free are you using? How many GNOME apps did you portupgrade?
Some sort of 4.9. I turned the Celeron box off so I can't check it right now. It has a full GNOME installation from running "portinstall gnome" some time in the past. It had some additional packages added I'm certain I added firefox, gnumeric and AbiWord if they weren't there in the base installation of gnome.[/quote:56318b62e6]

Turned it back on. Couldn't take the silence :roll:

"Pilot" as in "pilot projects". It started life when I needed box I could do anything to in order to get my Palm Zire 71 working. Eventually the kernel modifications made it into FreeBSD (they just MFCed some stuff they forgot to from -CURRENT after my PR reminded them to do it.)

FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE (PILOT) #15: Fri Mar 26 05:55:01 EST 2004

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1200MHz (1202.73-MHz 686-class CPU) Origin = "GenuineIntel" Id = 0x6b1 Stepping = 1
Features=0x383fbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE, CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CM
OV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR,SSE>
real memory = 133103616 (129984K bytes)
avail memory = 125534208 (122592K bytes)

215 packages, No AbiWord but both Mozilla and firefox.
This is a partial listing, I just picked out the obvious GNOME ones.

ORBit2-2.10.0 High-performance CORBA ORB with support for the C language
bugbuddy2-2.6.0 A bug reporting tool for GNOME 2
eel2-2.6.0 Generally useful classes and extensions to GNOME
firefox-0.8_5 Web browser based on the browser portion of Mozilla
gail-1.6.1 An implementation of the ATK interfaces for GTK+ widgets
gal2-1.99.11_1 A collection of widgets taken from GNOME 2 gnumeric
gconf-editor-2.6.0,1 A gconf database editor for the GNOME 2 environment
gconf2-2.6.0 A configuration database system for GNOME
gdk-pixbuf-0.22.0_1 A graphic library for GTK+
gdm2-2.6.0.0_1 GNOME 2 version of xdm display manager
gedit2-2.6.0 A small but powerful text editor for Gnome 2 Desktop Enviro
glib-1.2.10_10 Some useful routines of C programming (previous stable vers
glib-2.4.0 Some useful routines of C programming (current stable versi
gnome-icon-theme-1.2.0 A collection of icons for the GNOME 2 desktop
gnomeapplets2-2.6.0 Applets components for the Gnome 2 Desktop Environment
gnomecontrolcenter2-2.6.0.3 Control center for GNOME 2 project
gnomedesktop-2.6.0.1 Additional UI API for GNOME 2
gnomegames2-2.6.0.1_1 The game applications package for the Gnome 2 Desktop Envir
gnomehier-1.0_17 A utility port that creates the GNOME directory tree
gnomekeyring-0.2.0 A program that keeps passwords and other secrets
gnomemedia2-2.6.0_1 Multimedia applications for the GNOME 2 desktop
gnomemimedata-2.4.1_1 A MIME and Application database for GNOME
gnomepanel-2.6.0 Panel component for the GNOME 2 Desktop
gnomesession-2.6.0 Session component for the GNOME 2 desktop
gnomesystemmonitor-2.6.0 GNOME 2 system monitor program
gnometerminal-2.6.0 Terminal component for the GNOME 2 Desktop
gnomeutils2-2.6.0,1 GNOME 2 support utilities
gnomevfs2-2.6.0_1 GNOME Virtual File System
gnumeric2-1.2.8_1 The GNOME 2 spreadsheet
gtk-1.2.10_11 Gimp Toolkit for X11 GUI (previous stable version)
gtk-2.4.0 Gimp Toolkit for X11 GUI (current stable version)
gtk-engines2-2.2.0_3 Theme engine for the gtk+-2.0 toolkit
gtkglarea-1.99.0_4 An OpenGL widget for the GTK+2 GUI toolkit
gtksourceview-1.0.0 A text widget that adds syntax highlighting to the GtkTextV
libbonobo-2.6.0 A component and compound document system for GNOME2
libbonoboui-2.6.0 GUI frontend to the libbonobo component of GNOME 2
libgda2-1.0.3_2 Provides uniform access to different kinds of data sources
libglade2-2.3.6 GNOME glade library
libglut-5.0.2 A graphics library similar to SGI's OpenGL
libgnome-2.6.0 Libraries for GNOME, a GNU desktop environment
libgnomecanvas-2.6.0 A graphics library for GNOME
libgnomedb-1.0.3_2 Library components for the GNOME database frontend
libgnomeprint-2.6.0 Gnome print support library
libgnomeprintui-2.6.0_1 Gnome print support library
libgnomeui-2.6.0_1 Libraries for the GNOME GUI, a GNU desktop environment
libgnugetopt-1.2 GNU getopt library
libgtkhtml-2.6.0 Lightweight HTML rendering/printing/editing engine
libgtop2-2.6.0 GNOME 2 top library
libxml-1.8.17_2 Xml parser library for GNOME
libxml2-2.6.8 Xml parser library for GNOME
libxslt-1.1.5 The XSLT C library for GNOME
metacity-2.8.0 A window manager for the adult in you
mozilla-1.6_4,2 The open source, standards compliant web browser
xscreensaver-gnome-4.15_2 Save your screen while you entertain your cat (for GNOME us

Kernel_Killer
April 11th, 2004, 13:15
Ahhhh...gotcha. Did you have any trouble at all with any of the packages?

nutznboltz
April 12th, 2004, 08:10
Ahhhh...gotcha. Did you have any trouble at all with any of the packages?
You mean compiling them? I updated three boxes at the same time and only one had a complete Gnome desktop the others had gnumeric and AbiWord running with WindowMaker as the window manager. One of the non-gnome desktop systems had balsa too and it stumbled over openldap. For some reason portupgrade refused to update openldap so I removed it and the new version was installed on a subsequent run of the script.

That box has the largest ports tree of the three.

$ pkg_info | wc -l

bumbler
May 5th, 2004, 00:42
Kernel Killer, you mention trouble with Freetype2 - 2.1.7. On Linux I had trouble, as well. Would it be because Freetype now requires you use some sort of scripting to pull in the headers? I was compiling IceWM and could never find where the Makefiles were linking, so I couldn't find out how to add the silly header script Freetype demanded. I never ran into that on any version of Freetype2 until then. Since I know almost nothing, I'm not in a position to criticize that move, but I can still say I don't like it. The included documentation with the Freetype sources gives no explanation I could find.

Kernel_Killer
May 5th, 2004, 02:22
I dropped back down to 2.1.5, and all was good. I have yet to upgrade to 2.1.7 again for that exact reason.

psyche101
August 5th, 2004, 04:28
I have run the upgrade script 8 times, each time something failed, so I deleted the port (someone REALLY out to put that on the GNOME website,- that you should delete a problem port - everytime I had a failure, I assumed the port was the problem, and tried to fix it with portupgrade, reinstallation, reinstalling dependancies, one visit to screaming electron, and I deleted cdrtools, and I ran the script through for the first time.) At 400 packages on a P2, it was a 2 day rebuild every time. Finally after 4 weeks of attempting to try out GNOME2, the upgrade script says success. I thought GREAT. Startx gnome2 - /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: shared object "libpangoft2-1.0.so.200" not found, required by "libbonoui-2.so.0"
WTF ????
I sent one of my files to gnome-freebsd, four weeks ago and never received a reply. I figured it was probably a waste of time trying them again.
This is why I could not get planner or gnome running in the first place. Can anyone tell me how to get libpangoft2-1.0.so.200 ??? What a PITA - there has GOT to be an easier way. Doing a search on Google seems to take me back to all of my own posts - I seem to be the only one with this nightmare.
I reckon GNOME MUST have been built by the same masochists that made gettext.

Kernel_Killer
August 5th, 2004, 17:27
I had the same thing with one system. Took several times to get a success out of it. I also had the exact same issues with Pango. I eneded up linking the old pango files as the ones being looked for. I eventually had to update those ports and the new files were added.

psyche101
August 6th, 2004, 01:10
Hey, thanks kernel killer.
Not sure which one to symlink, I have libpangoft2-1.0.a, libpangoft2-1.0.so and libpangoft2-1.0.399 - not sure what goes where, could I trouble you for some more advice please :)
Hey - congrtats on the article in 2600 :) I just installed a D-Link access point here. I will be tightening up that security ;) - I did a D-Link DCE course a couple of weeks ago, and they claimed that their 128 bit WEP had not been cracked to date - on 802.11g - I know this is quite off topic - sorry, interested to know what your opinion is ?

Kernel_Killer
August 6th, 2004, 02:26
I believe I linked the 200 files to the 399's. Don't be suprised if you run into this again with other libs ending in 200. I did this upgrade on two systems. One only having a few Gnome packages, and another that has been going through the Gnome upgrades since the FreeBSD 4.7 days. The one with very few, of course took only a few passes, but the other on the other hand..... It didn't take 4 weeks, but it did take about 5 days, and serveral executions. You are at least through the worst of it.

As for 802.11i (yes, i), it's a great upgrade from 802.11a and b's WEP encryption, broadcasting alternating frames to make grabbing packets worthless to cracking the key (As far as we know). As of now no one has found a way to break, but I'm sure in the next year it will be exploitable. I have quite a few ideas, but lack of 802.11g halts progress.

psyche101
August 10th, 2004, 00:27
K -
made the symlinks, but I fell over on libintl.so.5. So I thought stuff this - deinstall and reinstall. Not the answer either. Now GNOME wont reinstall cause it still can't find that file. Googleing told me to run portupgrade -a (which made no difference) and to try editing libmap.conf, which I believe is not available on the 4* series ?. No other information I can find seems to be relevant. I have libintl.so.5 in /usr/libexec, I have added that folder to my path, symlinked it everywhere BSD is looking for it (so I thought - still learning), but it still does not exist ? I read man libmap.conf, but I think I am barking up the wrong tree - can you set me back on the stright and narrow please.
I also tried upgrading gettext, no joy there either, and deleted kdebase, kdelibs and heaps of other stuff that kept stopping the build. I am starting to think that by the time I have GNOME on this box, it will be the only thing in there ! Started at 411 ports - down to 391 now.
I will have to read up on 802.11i I have not heard of that one before.

Kernel_Killer
August 10th, 2004, 02:11
I'm guessing when you upgraded gettext you did the whole 'portupgrade -rf gettext -m BATCH=yes' command?

As for 802.11i, it's just the IEEE standard for the encryption used with 802.11g.

psyche101
August 10th, 2004, 02:50
Yep, learnt that one when I destroyed half my Gnome apps a couple of months ago with portupgrade LOL.
One would think that would be fixed by now hey.

bumbler
August 24th, 2004, 17:34
Finally found a possible fix for the Freetype2 issue. I quote an article I wrote elsewhere:

There's another problem you'll have with that Xft.h file when you compile against freetype2, as it has required a special script be included since freetype version 2.1.6. Backup your Xft.h with something like this:

cp Xft.h bak.Xft.h

Then open the file in a text editor and make some changes. Somewhere around line 35, look for these two lines:

#include <freetype/freetype.h>
#include <fontconfig/fontconfig.h>

and replace the first line with these two lines:

#include <ft2build.h>
#include FT_FREETYPE_H

Save the changes and close the file. I cannot guarantee this is exactly correct, but it has worked for me so far.

bumbler

psyche101
September 2nd, 2004, 20:31
Just a quick update - I still do not have a GNOME desktop. I ended up deinstalling to try and 'start from scratch' but it would not install as libbintl.so.5 was still missing, it exisits, I created heaps of symlinks, but it would still fail. I ended up doing a pkg_add -r which got most of it in, enough for the upgrade scipt to work, and have run the script another 5 times to strighten out the dependencies. I finnaly saw my machine this morning go Upgrade successful (no skipped no failures) so I tried startx - libintl.so.5 not found.
RAHHHH
I am running the gettext upgrade again to see if this sorts the lib problem now that gnome is apparently fully functional. I will let you know if I ever am able to use gnome again. I'm pretty stubborn so I will keep trying, but fair go, if others are having this sort of fun setting up gnome, it's gonna give Windows a bloody good name. If I ever get it working, I doubt I wall actually use it as I really hate it right now, although I guees I should probably be directing my frustrations at gettext.
Will let you know if this latest attempt works.

bumbler
September 5th, 2004, 15:39
I started just a couple of days ago with 5.2.1 and did an immediate update, followed by ports update, then installed the latest IceWM. It pulled in lots of Gnome updates, breaking most of the Gnome 2.4 stuff with Gnome 2.6 support libs. Oddly, my fix with Freetype2 worked like a charm. The only hiccup so far was that I needed to update ORBit2, but the system wouldn't do it automatically. I had to do it manually. I plan to continue with Gnome update to 2.6 over the next few days, just so I'll have working Gnome apps to run in IceWM.

psyche101
September 6th, 2004, 00:19
Heya Bumbler

Gotta love that nick :)
I finished the gettext upgrade a short while ago, it is still looking for libintl.so.5, I don't think this is going to be fixable somehow. I tried to modify the freetype file as you stated, but when I got there, I already had #include <ft2build.h> and #include FT_FREETYPE_H, funny thing is I also had #include <fontconfig/fontconfig.h> in there as well, but I had not personally made the entries, not sure if this was a result of the upgrade or not, never looked in there before. I figure I will leve it as is for now at least.
8 Ports failed the gettext upgrade so I am going to try deleting them and running the gettext upgrade option again. If that does not work, looks like I will be finally having a look at the 5 series. Looks like GNOME2 is gonna win this one.

bumbler
September 6th, 2004, 20:35
Well, I have to tell you, portupgrade is choking on the task. I don't know enough to select dependencies under 'pkgdb -F' and have no clue what to make of the term "stale depenecy" anyway. If I have to know that much, what's the point of using portupgrade? What I'm doing is wading through the various packages and upgrading by way of a simple 'make install', 'make deinstall' and 'make reinstall'. Bumbling though it may be, it's working so far. Thus, the nick fits well :-) I'd say you specifically have to remove that line "#include <fontconfig/fontconfig.h>" for it work, but your experience may be different. Otherwise, I'm just plugging along in my grand ignorance. At least IceWM is working fine in the middle of all this.

psyche101
September 6th, 2004, 23:42
If I have to know that much, what's the point of using portupgrade?

I could not agree more. You make a very good point there and choking on the task seems a very apt description as well. Having to run the program several times to get it right just does not impress does it. I had also tried reinstalling the packages individually, but my biggest problem was that one upgrade affects another and I ended up with heaps of broken ports. All the ports were gnome related in some way. I got into this mess when I upgraded from 4.9 to 4.10. What strikes me a strange is that the gnome upgrade script tells me that the update was successfull, even though it does not work so I try something else, run the script again (on two occasions, I ran the script within 30 mins of an apparently successful update) and it downloads new dependanies and installs them, although I have not run any upgrades at all on my ports tree. Not a great deal, 2 or 3 ports, If it is still downloading packages, how could the upgrade have been successful? Shouldn't all the dependancies be installed if the upgrade is indeed successful ? Man gnome does not cover this :)

bumbler
September 7th, 2004, 18:09
Though I actually hate Gnome as a desktop, I used have messed with it since October Gnome (1.0.4?) and became somewhat familiar with the proper order of things. Of course, I also knew not to change the ports one iota until I was finished fooling with Gnome2. This was more for learning and experimentation, as I expect to install from scratch when 5.3 goes STABLE. Here's a good recounting of the proper order of things for manual updates:

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Compiling_GNOME_2.6

Bumbler

psyche101
March 8th, 2005, 03:01
Wooooot
I got there, Gnome 2.8 now resides here. One majorly stupid thing I did was forget to edit /etc/crontab - cvsup kept changing my sources while trying to update Gnome every Friday night (would not have noticed if Gnome did not takle a ridiculous amount of time to upgrade). Once built, I also got the OAFIID error that I have seen many people ask about on Google, but deleting gconfd did not help me either (only solution I found) - still no BG ! In my case this was resolved by installing Nautilus as a package, not from the ports, and then installing gnomecontrolcentre2 from the ports. Gnome can run just fine without these two it sees, just a bit ugly, fine by me, but not others. Nautilus will not compile because the Gnome2 dependancies are too new - or so it was in my case and gnomecontrolcentre2 wont compile without Nautilus. Anyhow - it worked.

Digit-Head
July 8th, 2005, 12:52
Hehehe.... I tried most all of that stuff. But I quickly discovered it was WAY faster to just completely reload the machine from scratch. :smile: