tarballed
April 28th, 2004, 14:56
What type of pop server setup would I need to be able to handle 40 users, all using pop?

I have a server that I can use with the following specs:

PIII 1ghz
2gig RAM
1 36GIG HD

Correct me if im wrong, but where does mail get held on a pop server?

I'm blocking... :/

Tarballed

elmore
April 28th, 2004, 15:06
Correct me if im wrong, but where does mail get held on a pop server?

/var/mail

those specs should be fine, as long as users aren't all checking their mail every single minute.

I've run qpopper, cuci pop, and apop.

Out of the three I like cuci pop the best. That's the cubic circle pop daemon. It's been a while but I believe they had the smallest footprint and most functionality. I also remember liking apop for a while. qpopper scales the best but I think has the worst track record of the three, not that pop in general has a great track record mind you.

tarballed
April 28th, 2004, 15:11
/var/mail

those specs should be fine, as long as users aren't all checking their mail every single minute.

I've run qpopper, cuci pop, and apop.

Out of the three I like cuci pop the best. That's the cubic circle pop daemon. It's been a while but I believe they had the smallest footprint and most functionality. I also remember liking apop for a while. qpopper scales the best but I think has the worst track record of the three, not that pop in general has a great track record mind you.

Ya...the pop server is just a band-aid for the time being. I wont get into what we are going to use here. :)

Just needed a quick, yet easy setup for pop. I could take a look at the others as well.

I usually set my users to check mail every 5 minutes or so.

BTW, new setup looks nice. Very 'crisp' looking.

Tarballed