tarballed
April 30th, 2004, 12:45
This may be the wrong place to post, about getting started with MySQL. I know qutie a few of you are very familiar with MySQL. For me, it is my achilles heel at this point; I just haven't had a lot of time to work with it...and a project im working on requires that MySQL be used...

I'm excited but realize that I have much to learn...but here is:

http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net

Taking snips from the install file:

Create the initial database:

# mysql < create.sql

Simple enough: the create.sql came with the package. Simple

Create a MySQL user and password & Set-up MailScanner for SQL logging
# mysql
mysql> GRANT ALL ON mailscanner.* TO mailwatch@localhost IDENTIFIED BY '<password>'

One thing i've learned: logging into mysql is simple. From the command listed above, if I issue it, it kicks me back to another prompt: ->
how do I get out of that? just hit ;

Lastly:
-------------------- Create a MailWatch web user

# mysql mailscanner -u mailwatch -p
Enter password: ******
mysql> INSERT INTO users VALUES ('<username'>,md5('<password>'),'<name>','A');

I apologize if this came out ugly...still getting used to the new board...

Anyway, that is what im working on today. I'm hoping to get it working so I can sleep well tonight. :)

I appreciate the help.

Tarballed

soup4you2
April 30th, 2004, 17:59
One thing i've learned: logging into mysql is simple. From the command listed above, if I issue it, it kicks me back to another prompt: ->
how do I get out of that? just hit ;

everything you enter into SQL needs to end in a semi-colon

tarballed
May 22nd, 2004, 23:45
Just out of curiosity, anyone here use postgres?

Looks like im going to be doing some projects that include MySQL, Postgres and PHP....

I know MySQL is a popular DB, but was curious if anyone here has any comments on Postgres.

Thanks

oenone
May 23rd, 2004, 05:43
hm..
in the past i used mysql..
but two years ago i discovered postgres and realised that it is much better than mysql.
i didn't find much time to get known with it, but since then i never installed mysql again ^^'
i'd like to do more with postgres.
beginning next week i'll have three weeks time for myself.. maybe i'll find something to work on :)

cu
oenone

soup4you2
May 23rd, 2004, 17:08
sorry... only databases i do are mysql and oracle..