elmore
May 3rd, 2004, 03:51
Throughout the month of May we'll be running a membership drive here on Screaming Electron! This is your opportunity to get as many new members on the board as possible. There will be rewards to those members who bring in the most new people. Reward structure is as follows:

5 new members - 2 Screaming Electron bumper stickers.

10 new members - 2 Screaming Electron bumper stickers and 1 Screaming Electron t-shirt of your choice.

25 new members - 4 Screaming Electron bumper stickers and 2 Screaming Electron t-shirts of your choice.

50 new members - 4 Screaming Electron bumper stickers, 2 Screaming Electron t-shirts of your choice, and 1 Hooded Sweater of your choice.

100 new members - 4 Screaming Electron bumper stickers, 2 Screaming Electron t-shirts of your choice, 1 Hooded Sweater of your choice, and a $100 U.S. dollar gift certificate to the bookstore of your choosing.

Remember to have people you refer to this board put your username into the referral box upon registering. New members who fail to put your username into the referred by section of the new registration form will not be counted towards your membership drive numbers!

Good Luck!

Thanks for supporting Screaming Electron!

socomm
May 3rd, 2004, 09:41
Interesting, but what's to stop us from signing up a 100 times. :smile:

Strog
May 3rd, 2004, 10:43
Funny socomm but you fail to realize that vbulletin has a list of IP's for the admin(s). I think elmore might find it a little suspicious if more than a couple of your referrals come from the same IP or netblock. heheh.

On a more serious note:
I put screamingelectron.org in my signature on slashdot and other places that don't have anti-advertising policies. Let's not be obnoxious here about promoting this great site (hard to get obnoxious on /., heheh). I know elmore has told me that SE has gotten quite a few hits every time I post on /. (that's a lot less frequent anymore).

I idle in 15 channels on IRC (irc.freenode.net) and have recomended lots of people to SE. I'll post an answer from SE if it answers someone's question(s). Several people I've chatted with have come over to #screamingelectron channel to see what it's about.

There's lots of ways to promote Screaming Electron and I bet you'll find yourself with referrals before you know it.

Too bad the referrals weren't in place before because I know of dozens of people that have joined because of my actions. There's probably more but it's hard to tell how many are actually checking out my signature. Of course I'm not doing this for refferals. I'm doing because SE is a great place to learn and share and I've made some good friends here. Bumper stickers and t-shirts are great but I've learned more hanging with you guys than I have anywhere else and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

blackmilk
May 3rd, 2004, 13:23
You really want an SE shirt dontcha Stroggers... :P

I dont think this motivational method is going to work personally, those of us who are regulars bring people to the site regardless, those that arent may simple refer any old person... may not have great consequences :P

elmore
May 3rd, 2004, 13:58
I dont think this motivational method is going to work personally, those of us who are regulars bring people to the site regardless, those that arent may simple refer any old person... may not have great consequences :P

well, we'll see. It's very true what you've said there blackmilk though we're proud and very excited about the new site and we wanted to get the community actively involved in the whole renovation/upgrade/site renewal process and this was one of the first and easiest things for us to do right now. Hopefully it will do us well.

In the past when we've posted on news sites or ran similar contests we've gotten new members, of which very few become active members. Those that do or have become active are still around today. frisco, bsdjunkie and strog are all around from deadly postings, some of which gave not so hot reviews.

jlam whose the NetBSD pkgsrc guru joined when we posted to daily.daemonnews.org and he checks the site regularly and posts whenever pkgsrc questions arise.

These are just a couple of examples, I don't want to get into a who joined when thread, just wanted to merely clarify that things like this do help the community if even only by a few active members. It's all just about spreading the word on S.E.

As for regulars bringing people to the site regardless. I'm typically well aware of who does and does not refer people to the site, and I appreciate everyones efforts in referring people to this website. Think of this as a way to thank those members who refer people here on a regular basis.

socomm
May 3rd, 2004, 16:38
I dont think this motivational method is going to work personally

Perhaps a SE speedo might motivate more people, than say a hooded sweatshirt, being that is almost summer and all.

Strog
May 3rd, 2004, 19:48
Perhaps a SE speedo might motivate more people, than say a hooded sweatshirt, being that is almost summer and all.

If elmore does that then I'm disabling posting of pictures.

blackmilk
May 4th, 2004, 06:24
lol! Strange, its actually working.. :rainfro:

Valid points elmore, i guess in a situation like this, every little counts.. especially if you gain just one more regular, more would be a preference though right.

Have you tried the whole alliance thing? Ya know like have a site have an SE banner, and u have one of theirs, etc etc..