blaqb0x
November 15th, 2002, 04:10
Hi,

I have this old micron w/ dual Pentium processors. Will the regular installation method configure the kernel to use both processors. Or do I have to configure the kernel manually?

This is my first post and first freebsd installation so baby talk would be appreciated.

thanx,

elmore
November 15th, 2002, 10:31
The regular installation will not include SMP support. Here's what you need to do in order to get SMP support on FBSD.

First when installing FBSD make sure to install the kernel sources. Next, after you have you box all setup, you'll need to compile a kernel. This is pretty easy, here's how you'll do it.

[code:1:c79d020545]
computer#cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
computer# cp GENERIC <somefile>
computer# vi <somefile>
[/code:1:c79d020545]

Somefile being whatever you wanna call you kernel. Currently I call name my kernel's after meats. You'll need to edit the following lines:

ident GENERIC
# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
#options SMP # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#options APIC_IO # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

ident should be the name of you kernel, i.e. whatever somefile is. uncomment both the SMP and the APIC_IO options.

Now you'll need to compile your kernel, do the following:

[code:1:c79d020545]
computer# /usr/sbin/config <somefile>
computer# cd ../../compile/<somefile>
computer# make
computer# make depend
computer# make install
computer# reboot
[/code:1:c79d020545]

When your computer comes back up you should notice it trying to launch the second CPU, if everything scrolls by too fast run a
dmesg | more to view your startup messages to verify your second CPU came up. Now run some large process that nornally eats up your CPU and while it's running run the top command and watch to make sure both CPU's are distributing the job equally. That's it.

elmore
November 15th, 2002, 10:47
Moving this to the kernel config section, I'll leave the ghost topic here.

elmore
November 27th, 2002, 15:52
hey did you get this worked out?