bumbler
June 21st, 2004, 12:57
During the massive download of ports I just passed through, I noted that every time some source was taken from Sourceforge, the 'fetch' command defaulted to the mirror in Ireland (heanet), which is probably the worst possible choice from where I live in Texas. How do I train ports to select some other mirror without having to intervene constantly from the commandline? I didn't see that in the handbook or in my reference book.

Bumbler

molotov
June 21st, 2004, 16:35
look at the make files, find a mirror and write a script to do a search and replace on the address. note, this will probably break some, since mirror are not always complete. on some you will just be able to comment out the primary and use the seconddary. Also, your main bottleneck is you->isp, not ireland->isp, so you probably wont gain much speed, good luck

bumbler
June 21st, 2004, 17:27
My comment about the mirror in Ireland was based on experience. Whenever fetch connects there, it is far slower than any other mirror. The rate never gets as high as 2kb/s. Often the server closes the session way before 25% of the file is done, and the script reports about a truncated file, and tries the next Sourceforge mirror, usually Aleron in VA. That server then hums along at 2.6kb/s or faster, and the file always completes.