dowmun
June 28th, 2004, 11:54
I am using FreeBSD 4-10 as a router for a small home network. When I try to go to a website with an underbar in the address, I get a pop-up window telling me that the site cannot be found, and to check that I am entering the correct address.

There are both Windows and a Linux machine on the network, and the address fails from both. I have changed ISP's recently, so I think they are not causing the problem. I have tried changing the underbar to an " ! " and an " @ " sign, with the same result.

I believe I have something set wrong in FreeBSD that is causing this problem, but I do not know where to start.

Thanks for any help.

Kernel_Killer
June 29th, 2004, 01:07
What site are you trying to reach,and is it on the local network, or outside your network? Can you access the site from the IP instead of the address?

dowmun
June 29th, 2004, 11:05
The site I am trying to reach is outside my local network. It is <marsa_sellers.tripod.com>

I may be doing this next part wrong, but I typed
<nslookup marsa_sellers.tripod.com>
and got the IP address

I put this IP into mozilla on my linux machine (a machine on my home network) and it took me to
www.tripod.lycos.com

I can search this site and find a link to the site I want

<marsa_sellers.tripod.com/geneticspages/page0.html>

but when I try to go to it, I get the same pop-up, telling me the site could not be found. I should mention that this is a valid site since I seem to be the only person who cannot access it.

Is this what you meant for me to do? Thanks for your help.

frisco
June 29th, 2004, 12:57
Where are you running the nslookup from? If it is from a machine that is having browsing problems, then i would guess that the problem is in the web browser - are you using the same one on each machine?

If the problem is instead with your dns server, a quick workaround is to edit /etc/hosts (on windows look for the hosts file in c:\windows\system32\ i think) on the local machines to include an entry like:
209.202.240.100 marsa_sellers.tripod.com

You may have to restart the browser after that, but then maybe you'll be able to get to that site.

Good luck

dowmun
June 29th, 2004, 14:37
I did as you suggested, and am able to access the site now.
Thank you very much.