samwun
July 17th, 2004, 03:00
Hi,

I used cvsup downloaded the source, but this command does not generate any CVSROOT files.

I want to make my own release of FreeBSD but the parameter require CVSROOT created in somewhere in the file system. I m getting confuse now. Firstly I need to use cvsup download the source to a directory say /usr/src, then execute make buildworld according to what the doc said.
then use make release .... to build a release. But I must define a CVSROOT path for it to build. I think the make release is going to download the source again to $CVSROOT directory. Since I have already built the whole source with make buildworld in the directory /usr/src, why I need to download the source again and build everything again???

The next thing I do is after setup enviornmnet variable CVSROOT /usr/local/ncvs
I used cvsup to download all the source into /usr/local/ncvs
then cd /usr/src/release and make release CHROOTDIR=/usr/MyRelease

the process is stopped at the following error:
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/wicontrol
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/wlconfig
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/yp_mkdb
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/ypbind
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/yppoll
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/yppush
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/ypserv
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/ypset
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/zic
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/zic/zdump
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/zic/zic
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/zzz
rm -rf /usr/MyRelease/usr/ports
# Add version information to those things that need it.
if [ ! -f /usr/MyRelease/tmp/.world_done ]; then cd /usr/MyRelease/usr/src/sys/conf && mv newvers.sh foo && sed "s/^RELEASE=.*/RELEASE=5.2-RELEASE/" foo > newvers.sh && rm foo; fi
cd: can't cd to /usr/MyRelease/usr/src/sys/conf
*** Error code 2

What can I do about it?

I have tried to look at the FreeBSD Handbook, but the description is not very detail.
Can anyone send me a full instruction how to build my own release of FreeBSD?
I m using FreeBSD 5.2 Current. I have written my own programs want to be bundeled with the release.

thanks
sam

elmore
July 17th, 2004, 03:03
are you looking at the release man page?

samwun
July 17th, 2004, 03:09
Yup, I have read thru few times and it didnt work with the CVSROOT thing. Then I read thru some other article from the web and defined CVSROOT enviornment variables to /usr/local/ncvs, and also did a cvs init on the directory...
In fact, I would like to have a complete intrustion how to make release including setting up of CVS repository with CVSROOT, etc.

thanks
sam