cod3fr3ak
July 27th, 2004, 10:22
I just recently purchased Verizon's business DSL for my home office. I currently and using a Soekris 4501 as my primary firewall. I still have my Cox.net net service, however. Anyway the Soekris has 3 interfaces, one of them goes to the internal lan, the other comes in from the firewall. I'd like to use the third interface to pull the data in from the DSL connection. Are there any caveats to using PPoE, I've heard it is difficult to configure and keep up. Would there be any conflicts witht the cable connection? And config scripts or things like that. I've just started googling for info, but I thought I'd try here first.

elmore
July 27th, 2004, 15:04
You should be able to do this just fine, with OpenBSD now supporting multiple default gateways and with altq you should be able to have a pretty nice setup. Depending on your Soekris install you may have to go back and include pppoe as I don't think flashdist or open soekris load it with their base. It's easy enough to add though and shouldn't be much of a problem, I have similar setups running at several of my clients.

cod3fr3ak
July 27th, 2004, 16:47
SWEET! I'll get to work and post when I'm done.

Atlas
July 27th, 2004, 17:17
Have you considered m0n0wall for your Soekris? I've been thinking of buying a 4801 to replace the old PC that I was using before I moved.

http://m0n0.ch/wall/

elmore
August 29th, 2004, 01:12
SWEET! I'll get to work and post when I'm done.

You done any work on this yet?

cod3fr3ak
August 30th, 2004, 07:35
Not this weekend. I might drop my DSL service. I people who call me complain about a clicking in the line and echoing when they speak. Anyone here have problems with DSL. I am using Verizon.
I have heard of monowall, but I am not very familiar with it.

molotov
August 30th, 2004, 08:13
I use alltel, and although they suck, they dont suck by echoing or clicking. Mainly their dns servers go down, or I'll randomly have to reboot the modem to get service.

Amicus
August 30th, 2004, 13:41
I had an alcatel speedtouch home. Now I'm using a new service with a zyxel dsl modem. On both modems I would have issues of needing to reboot the modem or restart the pppoe connection. It seems to happen at random intervals with the Zyxel, so I created a simple .sh script that is run from cron every 10 minutes.

Maybe this will help someone:
pingtest=`ping -c2 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX | grep 'packets received' | awk -F\ '{ print $4}'`
lasttime=`grep 'most current reset time:' /etc/ppp/dsl-status | awk -Ftime: '{ print $2 }'`
currenttime=`date`

if [ "$pingtest" = "0" ]
then
kill -9 `cat /var/run/tun0.pid`
sleep 60
ppp -ddial MyISP
sleep 10
echo "last reset time:" $lasttime > /etc/ppp/dsl-status
echo "most current reset time:" $currenttime >> /etc/ppp/dsl-status
echo `cat /etc/ppp/dsl-status` | sendmail my_email_address@do
exit 0
fi

It sends 2 packets to my default route. If 0 packets return, it kills the pppoe pid, grabs the last-reset-time from the status textfile, puts last-reset-time into the status text, puts current-reset-time into the status text file, and then sends an email consisting of the status textfile.

It's one of my first shell scripts. It's simple. It's been working fine for months.

The dsl-status file needs to exist with "last reset time:" for the first line and "most current reset time:" for the second line.

I was also working on a minicom script or something of that type to use an apc-masterswitch and reset the power to the dsl modem in case restarting pppoe didn't work.

cheers,
-Amicus

cod3fr3ak
August 31st, 2004, 09:08
Thanks. That script looks pretty good. I haven't really had any problems with the modem itself. It is actually very good, built-in firewall, ACL, etc. I just haven't had the time to sit down and interg4rate my cable network and my DSL network. I initially purchased DSL because my Cox cable connection was constantly going down. Remarkably since I have gotten the DSL Cox has not went down at all. I had 5 longterm (more that 6 hours - once it was down for 3 days) outages with Cox in my first 3 months. With them. Now the connection seems very solid. I can pull 4 bit.torrent streams, surf the net and download stuff from news groups, with out any apparent issues.

cod3fr3ak
January 17th, 2005, 13:21
Just an update. I dumped Verizon's DSL service - too much interferance on the phone side. However, before I let them go, I did manage to get both DSL and cable running off of one router. PF made it very simple push different types of traffic thru different connections. I had all my www, mail, and dns stuff going out of the DSL line, while bit.torrent, news groups, and vpn stuff was pulled thru the cable line.