hexdragon
July 29th, 2004, 23:55
Ok, I am trying to articulate my words in such as a way as for you to understand my question... (I am lacking sleep). (This seems to be the best forum for it)

I stumbled across http://roq.com/bsd/ once when originally trying to configure a FreeBSD firewall (months ago) (it is a perl script that sets up ipf, ipnat, pppoe, and dhcpd). I used it and it seemed to work decently. I was wondering if anyone else had used it and, if so, what their impressions are of it as a basic script to be used as a template.

bsdjunkie
July 31st, 2004, 16:03
Afraid Ive never used this before, but looks pretty good.

elmore
July 31st, 2004, 19:32
Is there any particular reason that you're choosing ipf? I saw where you initially posted a question about ipfw. If you have no particular reason other than just wanting to have a firewall I'd highly suggest pf. There's a port for it in the freebsd ports tree and it's much more advanced and flexible than ipf I know. I'm not quite sure about ipfw because I've never used it but I can't imagine that ipfw would have anything over pf either.

I mention pf because I know a lot of people on the board, (myself included) have more experience with pf and might be able to assist you a little better in getting a firewall up and running.

hexdragon
August 1st, 2004, 16:06
Well, I'm convinced... pf it is.

elmore
August 27th, 2004, 12:41
Hey hex how's the pf coming?

hexdragon
August 27th, 2004, 17:14
Eh, its going decent. I'm making some progress with learning how to use it, but school and everything associated with it has limited me to about 30-45 minutes per week on my computers for non-homework purposes. Right now I am connecting with tun0, the rules are loaded, but i cant connect to the internet for any viable means (surfing, etc). I can ping my internal network, though. After I get my computers surfing, I will start the port fardwing, etc. Thanks for asking.