StatiK76
November 23rd, 2002, 17:00
MSG boards are always more fun / useful when there is conversation. No? Maybe we've said everything there is to say in 200 something msg's - i doubt it ... So - i really think that if this site intends of becoming more useful - it must become more popular. Maybe the odd comment in a slashdot forum could maybe get 1 or 2 through the door .. getting the word out. ??

advertise this place - word of mouth is free. I like it here - i intend on being around here for a while ... So - whats new? shite - im high on a saturday afternoon begging strangers to talk about bsd with me .. ugh ...

OK - Is there anyway for us to eliminated those fucking emoticons on the side??? my god those are gay. heh... Anyways ... postfix install for me this afternoon i think ... i'll even post a message to let people know how it went ...

StatiK76

elmore
November 23rd, 2002, 20:03
Hey I'm all for that. I think everyone here talks about the site quite a bit. It's been mentioned on deadly.org, and it has been in the comments section several times on /.

We all want the same thing... I would personally like to see new messages posted every couple of minutes like on some of the giant boards for linux that are around. In the end I think all that takes time. The board is growing, allbeit slowly. When I first started this inception of screaming electron there were 5 members, mostly friends of mine. The primary goal then was to help them with an easy transition from linux to BSD. (Edited, earlier it said from BSD to linux, DOH!)
I wanted to develop a place where people could ask questions and not fear that a flamethrower would fry them to a crisp. That being said those goals have been achieved with the current community.

I hold memberships on virtually every linux, *BSD, General tech support forum around. When appropriate I refer someone to my site. I do not, I repeat DO NOT just go around boards and say hey just check out se when it's not relevant. On almost every board I have spoken to a moderator or an admin to make sure it's ok to post a reply referring someone to my site if content is relevant.

In short, I agree with you, I'd love to see this site blowup into something huge. However, in the *BSD world I think that takes a lot of time. For what it's worth we do have a good reputation out and around the OpenBSD community in particular, people do know about the site, although more and more people are always needed. Feel free statik or anyone else to recommend people to the site for whatever reason, just make sure it's done in a tasteful and professional way.

And no the emoticons stay for now, Sometime it's hard to tell someones emotion from straight text. :D:D:D ;)

Regards,

elmore
November 23rd, 2002, 20:10
One more quick thing. Also keep in mind it's holiday season too. Lots of people are winding down computer projects this time of year. Although for me projects never slow down, this is not true in particular for people who are doing computer projects at work that might be coming here to look for a little help.

Hey goodluck with postfix, I wrote a how-to for it in the how-to section a while back. I've been told it covers most of the basics and in general is pretty good. Let us knwo how it turns out. If it works for you there's a place to write that all up in the testimonials section. Cheers StatiK!

Kernel_Killer
January 10th, 2003, 05:44
Just to feed my own curiousity, how popular are the BSD's in the business market? Linux is getting pushed more and more, which is good for the BSD's in a way since it is also another for of open source, and exposing it to the rest of the world. Unfortunatly, there doesn't seem to be a way to prove your expertise in such a UNIX evironment like Solaris, and HP-UX with their Certifications and classes. I'm thinking this is one thing that they are lacking, but then again I could be overlooking this.

In this area we are proving that the Linux/UNIX community is nothing to be laughed at. Maybe it's about time to pull out the big guns, and show them a BSD server of some sort. I don't know. Like StatiK said, the word must get out. In my mind, I see 90% of BSD users being home users. If the word gets out, the reputation will follow.

bsdjunkie
January 10th, 2003, 10:46
Yeah, Im not sure why *BSD doesnt get more reccognition. I mean some of the largesest sites in the world run of FreeBSD> Yahoo, hotmail (HAHAHA), ftp.cdrom.com, etc....

Strog
January 10th, 2003, 12:42
I got here from a glowing endorsement from someone on deadly.org. I haven't seen mention on slashdot before but maybe I was blind because I do spend a bit of time there.

I think BSD's biggest problem is that is it just works so well. You really don't have to think about much when it works so well under load without breaking. The result is that it isn't on your mind because you have other problems to deal with. You won't talk about it much to others if your not thinking about it. I think this is some of Netware's problem too.

Most PHB's (Pointy Hair Boss for the non-Dilbert inclined) won't choose a solution without a support contract and some kind of certifcations. Heads will roll and it will be theirs if they don't have support to blame so I can see why they think this way. There needs to be some good support options and good exposure on them. I could admin a BSD box good enough for most networks but how would I prove it to the PHB's of the world who aren't BSD aware without some piece paper of someone saying "Yeah, he knows what he's doing"?

Elmore,
Maybe we can get some buttons for linking out of the logo contest for linking back to Screaming Electron. I'd put one on my site even though I get more Code Red,etc. hits than legit traffic.

You don't like emoticons, Statik? I don't see any emoticons in my links text browser :twisted:

elmore
January 14th, 2003, 01:13
It was a while back when someone posted up a story about good *BSD books and resources. We were kind of buried, but it was there, we got quite a few hits. Here's a link. Anyone know who reluctantbadger is?

http://screamingelectron.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117