tarballed
August 17th, 2004, 14:21
Just came back from a much needed vacation full of energy and enthusiasm. I finally was able to get a 2 port KVM at work, so I can setup a OpenBSD workstation, in conjunction with my Windows box.

Anyway, I just downloaded and installed OpenBSD 3.5., downloaded ports, sys. and src. Just finished patching my system and I am ready to start building my desktop.

My goal is to have my OpenBSD workstation be my main workstation and just use my Windows workstation for when I need to access software that can only run on Windows.

With that in mind, I know I need to pick a window manager of some sort. Not sure what I want to go with yet, but I know what I have in mind. Maybe I can list some option here and people can give suggestions:

-KDE and Gnome are not really my type. Too bloated for my taste. I want something smaller, faster, yet very customizable and have the ability, if I want to, to place buttons/icons on my desktop for quick launching abilities.

-Need a music player. :)

-Planning on using tools like roottail, so I can watch my servers. Also, aterm is one I like, soI can make my background transparent and slick looking.

I have a lot of room to work with. My system:

-2.0ghz AMD CPU
-512MB RAM, easily upgradeable to 1gb
-80gig HD
-Matrox G450 32mb card, dual vga head

Also, would liketo put on Firefox and a decent mail client with newsgroup capabilities.

That should be about it right now.

Going to start doing some research later today after I finish up a project I am working on.

Thanks everyone.

Cheers,

tarballed

tarballed
August 18th, 2004, 21:02
Thought i'd follow up quickly.

I was able to get X-Windows up and running fine on OpenBSD 3.5. After some hacking and the help of elmores xF86config file, I was able to get my dual monitors up and running nicely.

Anyway, been kicking around the following things:

-fluxbox, which is nice, looks extremely customizable. Does it have a lot options to configure the menu? so I can add quick launches for my programs. I would guess there is. Is there other add-ons for fluxbox as well? I like the 'lightweight' feel of it.

-windowmaker. Been trying this one as well. Fairly straight forward and I like it.

Put on Firefox and it is working nicely. Will have to work on flash and java later.
Also put on eterm, which is something I have been eagerly wanting to do.
Just a few questions:

I put on a background image on my desktop, using 'bsetbg'. Worked fine, the only thing is though is that it is centered right into between my two monitors. Figured out how to center and tile it though. Maybe I can put the samge image on each screen, or set two different images on the screens? That possible.

Been trying to work the refresh rate on my monitors. The monitors themselves are set at: 1280x1024, the recommended setting at 60 refresh rate. Trying to get that working correctly, as the image appears a little blurry.

Other than that, going to try and make firefox a little bit better fonts. Any recommendations?

Looking for a CD/Radio Player.
Email program as well.

That is about it.

I appreciate the feedback.

Tarballed

bsdjunkie
August 18th, 2004, 21:28
I like windowaker. fast and easy. Get XMMS for cd/radio/mp3 etc....

molotov
August 18th, 2004, 23:32
mail: sylpheed, thunderbird, evolution
as for bsetbg theres a fullscreen option I think. Esetroot and a bunch of otherprograms have that option at least, but they dont come to mind at the moment, sorry.

Strog
August 19th, 2004, 02:10
I'd have to 2nd sylpheed for a mail client. There's also sylpheed-claws which is the testbed for new features. I tried it after using a couple other clients and I'm not going back. The filter options are great. It doesn't do news but you can use a seperate newsreader for that anyway.

xmms and mplayer should handle all your multimedia needs. You might get mpg123 and mp3blaster just so you have some cli options. Hey, maybe you want to play music off this box while you are ssh'ed in from the windows box. ;-)

*box are great lightweight managers. pekwm and windowmaker are also good candidates if you want to keep the desktop light. You can always run gnome-panel or KDE's kicker with these window managers if you want to play around.

Install cygwin and its X server on the windows box. Comment out the xterm line in the startx.bat file and fire up putty with X forwarding enabled. Any app you start in putty will be displayed on the windows desktop as if it belonged there. It can make those sessions in windows more bearable if you have all your apps available. I used to browse with links -g on my windows box at work just because it was so quick.

Vile
August 27th, 2004, 02:08
Well I don't see why it wouldn't work on OpenBSD but Enlightenment is extraordinarily customizable. I have used it on Linux before and was overwhelmed by everything that you can do with it. I use KDE on my OpenBSD machines, well the ones running X anyways.