tarballed
August 25th, 2004, 13:21
Anyone have a good recommendation for a CD-Ripper? I could use the cdrtools and lame tools to rip and encode, but I was wondering if there is a better one to use. Command line or GUI, doesn't matter to me. I'll work with either.

Any recommended ones?

Thanks

Tarballed

tarballed
August 25th, 2004, 20:05
If anyone's curious, I setup the following and it seems to work pretty good:

ripit
dagrab
lame

Pretty fast little setup. The only other thing I would look into is seeing any other way I can enhance the sound and make it better. Still good though.

Tarballed

Kernel_Killer
August 25th, 2004, 20:39
abcde is the best (IMO). Rips and encodes even on OGG.

tarballed
August 25th, 2004, 20:58
abcde is the best (IMO). Rips and encodes even on OGG.

I'll check it out. Can't hurt.:) I have 80 gigs to play with. :)

tarballed
August 25th, 2004, 21:02
What's the best encoder out there? Is there one encoder that seems to make the mp3 files a bit cleaner when they come out? Or is that an added on feature I can add on?

I have noticed that on some parts of the song when im listening, I can hear a slight bit of 'fuzz'. Nothing really bad, barely noticeable really, but still, i'd like to make it as clean as possible.

Any ideas?

Tarballed

southpaw
August 25th, 2004, 22:05
used Grip some in the past, all worked well and sound was very good. Your milage may vary.

Respectfully,
Southpaw

Kernel_Killer
August 26th, 2004, 00:28
Lame, and Vorbis Tools will set you up. The quality is only what you make of it. Just make sure to set the encoding rate. Abcde allows you to add the flags in your abcde.conf for everytime you run it.

Grip is good, but it's also GTK dependant. Also, when dealing with encoding, it seems to hate going over 128kbps (Yeah I know. I like to encode much larger). On top of that, if you plan to rip a bunch, you might see some bugs along the way. Abcde is just a CDparanoia frontend. Just simple.

bmw
August 26th, 2004, 09:19
I've used ripit.pl for a number of years now. It will do the entire process including consulting a CDDB db to properly name the tracks and install the ID3 info.

I configure ripit to use dd for ripping, Lame for encoding and to use the freedb CD database:

$cddev = "/dev/acd0c"; # CD Audio device [/dev/cdrom]
$outputdir = "/home/bmw/mp3"; # Where the MP3s should go
$bitrate = 128; # Bitrate for MP3s [160]
$encoder = 0; # 0 - Lame, 1 - Gogo, 2 - OggVorbis
$encopt = ""; # options for mp3 encoder
$cdripper = 5; # 5 - dd (FreeBSD-4.4 and higher)

$CDDB_HOST = "freedb.freedb.org"; # set cddb host
$CDDB_PORT = 8880; # set cddb port [8880]
$CDDB_MODE = "cddb"; # set cddb mode: cddb or http
$CDDB_INPUT = 1; # 1 ask user if multiple CDs found,

The results of this are shared out using mod_mp3 but that's another story. :-)

On the mp3 "noise": MP3 is a psychoacoustic hack. It removes stuff (audio energy) that tests have shown to be nearly inaudible in order to reduce the amount of information in the data stream. Trouble is that some source material is better suited to this than other. I can always hear acoustic artifacts in certain music when wearing headphones. Vocals tend to get a sort of "swish-swish" or swirling effect added to them in some material.

If you encode at 320Kbps you don't tend to hear any of these things whereas at 128Kbps you usually do. Somewhere in between is OK, eg 160Kbps is a popular choice.

On the other hand background listening, which is what I do with mp3's most of the time, doesn't require any better audio quality than FM radio, so I find that 128Kbps is fine 98% of the time. (And luckily I mostly listen to instrumental music (jazz, lounge, electronic, etc.) so the swishy vocal effect isn't a factor.)

Ogg may get you better results for a given compression/bitrate, and AACL (eg Apple iTunes/iPod) is purportedly better still.

cod3fr3ak
August 26th, 2004, 10:04
ripit.pl seems to be a really cool script. i might have to check that out myself.

tarballed
September 1st, 2004, 19:04
ripit.pl seems to be a really cool script. i might have to check that out myself.

It is very easy to use after you get it setup. It really is just a matter of deciding if you want to rip the whole CD or individual tracks. Even if you do decide to rip a track or tracks, all you have to do is put the number of the track, then a comma, followed by the next track number. It really is very easy.

On a side note, found this the other day about ripping CD's:

Ripping Audio CD's (http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200407/audio-rip-how-to.html)

Fits the thread.

tarballed
September 2nd, 2004, 14:19
Just thought i'd post a quick follow up. After reading the article that I posted above and reading over the Ogg Vorbis web site, I decided to give it a shot. One of the reasons is that I noticed that when I would burn some files to .mp3's, I would get some 'fuzz' on certain high pitched part's of the song. Being extremely picky, I didn't like that.

I read the article and went for it. After finishing up a few CD's, including some of the ones I had previously burnt to .mp3 format that had fuzz, I finished the process.

I was pleasantly surprised by the results. I no longer had 'fuzz' during parts of the song that I had previously in .mp3 format. The sound was noticeably better, which was very nice.

Anyway, I like the .ogg format and plan on sticking with it.

For those who are curious, one song that had a lot of 'fuzz' in .mp3 format, but is gone in .ogg was: The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

oxleyk
July 22nd, 2005, 19:07
I've used ripit.pl for a number of years now. It will do the entire process including consulting a CDDB db to properly name the tracks and install the ID3 info.

I configure ripit to use dd for ripping, Lame for encoding and to use the freedb CD database:

$cddev = "/dev/acd0c"; # CD Audio device [/dev/cdrom]
$outputdir = "/home/bmw/mp3"; # Where the MP3s should go
$bitrate = 128; # Bitrate for MP3s [160]
$encoder = 0; # 0 - Lame, 1 - Gogo, 2 - OggVorbis
$encopt = ""; # options for mp3 encoder
$cdripper = 5; # 5 - dd (FreeBSD-4.4 and higher)

$CDDB_HOST = "freedb.freedb.org"; # set cddb host
$CDDB_PORT = 8880; # set cddb port [8880]
$CDDB_MODE = "cddb"; # set cddb mode: cddb or http
$CDDB_INPUT = 1; # 1 ask user if multiple CDs found,

I realize this is an old thread but I just installed ripit. Do you have your configuration in the body of the script or in a config file, and if it's a file, where is it kept?. I keep getting an error stating that the ouput directory doesn't exist. It's trying to save the mp3 files to a directory with the name of the CD, which doesn't exist. How do I get it to properly create the destination directory?

Thanks,
Kent

Kernel_Killer
July 22nd, 2005, 20:08
Anyway, I like the .ogg format and plan on sticking with it.

Absolutely!!! Not many people hear the difference, but when they do, they realize what they are missing out on. Many have told me that I was dumb for switching to OGGs 2 years ago because it lacked a portable player. Well, in my opinion, quality is greater than portability when talking about music. Of course now you can get a 20G Rio Karma for about $250 that plays MP3s FLACs and OGGs. :wink:

oxleyk
July 22nd, 2005, 21:06
I keep getting an error stating that the ouput directory doesn't exist. It's trying to save the mp3 files to a directory with the name of the CD, which doesn't exist. How do I get it to properly create the destination directory?

I figured it out on my own. In ripit.pl is the system command "mkdir --mode=0777 -p \"$mp3dir\" for creating the destination directory however, changing it to "mkdir -m 0777 -p \"$mp3dir\" causes it to work properly.

Kent