tarballed
September 2nd, 2004, 19:40
Well, as the title suggests, when I run Firefox on my FreeBSD box at work, it seems awfully sluggish. For instance, when I open it up and move it around the window, it seems kindy of herky jerky if you will.

Also, I was viewing SE here getting ready to log on. what I noticed is that when I woulc click on "Quick Links" Or any of the menus here, it was not smooth at all. It was really botchy if you will. Really made things quite sucky when viewing web pages and such.

Anyone have any idea on what could be causing this? I've been trying to google a bit and see if there was something I missed during the install (Installed from ports) or if there was something I needed to compile into the kernel.

Besides firefox, everything else works great. Windowmaker is working nicely, as is xmms, aterm and sylpheed-claws.

I appreciate the help.
Tarballed

Kernel_Killer
September 2nd, 2004, 20:30
Some of the older version were that way. Tried a cvsup and a new version yet? Also might want to upgrade any of the GTK deps that it has.

elmore
September 2nd, 2004, 22:06
you have that dual monitor system? What desktop are you running? How many virtual desktops do you have open? What else is running? If you have a dual video display how much video ram does your card have? What's the color depth? How much system memory do you have? How fast is your processor?

tarballed
September 3rd, 2004, 12:20
you have that dual monitor system? What desktop are you running? How many virtual desktops do you have open? What else is running? If you have a dual video display how much video ram does your card have? What's the color depth? How much system memory do you have? How fast is your processor?

Yep. Correct. Dual monitors.

WindowManager - WindowMaker
Virtual Desktops - just one right now

Other programs running: xmms, aterm

Running a Matrox G450 AGP 32mb video card. (After I read your post, I don't recall specifying the amount of RAM on the video card...could be a problem.)

Display: Depth 24, Mode 1280x1024

System: 512mb RAM, AMD 2000+ CPU

Running Firefox 0.9.3

Besides firefox, everything is running very well.

Any ideas?

elmore
September 3rd, 2004, 12:48
I've found that to run a dual screen desktop you gotta have a lot of system memory and a lot of video memory. For instance I was running fluxbox with the same matrox card and 512mb system ram and everything ram fine. When I added the second monitor everything was sluggish. I happend to have the 64mb matrox dual head around I threw that in and added another 512 of RAM and presto it flies.

I'd suggest seeing if you have the same problem with just one monitor. Then you'll know.

tarballed
September 3rd, 2004, 13:35
I've found that to run a dual screen desktop you gotta have a lot of system memory and a lot of video memory. For instance I was running fluxbox with the same matrox card and 512mb system ram and everything ram fine. When I added the second monitor everything was sluggish. I happend to have the 64mb matrox dual head around I threw that in and added another 512 of RAM and presto it flies.

I'd suggest seeing if you have the same problem with just one monitor. Then you'll know.

The RAM should be no problem to add. I'll stick in a gig or 1.5 worth just for the extra "umphhhhh".

The video card, that could be a bit more interesting. I do have a ATI 9600 Radeon 128mb card. The only thing is, it has one DVI and one VGA output.

I'll try shutting off the one monitor and seeing if that makes a difference though.

I appreciate it.

Tarballed

P.S. Is there a easy way to shut off one monitor to do some testing, or will I have to edit my xconfig file and go from there?

Atlas
September 3rd, 2004, 14:03
For about 5 - 10 bucks you can get a DVI to VGA converter (assuming, of course, that you're going to VGA). That's how I do dual monitor on my GeForce.

tarballed
September 3rd, 2004, 17:06
For about 5 - 10 bucks you can get a DVI to VGA converter (assuming, of course, that you're going to VGA). That's how I do dual monitor on my GeForce.

Ok...just ran down to the store and put on the adaptor.
I updated the ram to 1gig 2100 DDR.

I also swapped the video card and put in a ATI Radeon 9600.

After tweaking the xconfig for abit, I can get xwindows to start up, but the problem is, I can not get it to extend across my two monitors. I have exact copies of each screen on both screens.

I did specify Option "xinerama" "on"

In my XF86config file, but still, no dice.

This is pretty much almost the same exact copy of my old matrox config, but i fixed the device section to point to the ATI driver now.

Any ideas on what im missing? I don't really see a whole lot in my logs.

Tarballed

tarballed
September 3rd, 2004, 20:36
Ok. Fixed the xinerama problem. Now both dual monitors are working with a extended desktop.

One thing I noticed: One monitor is much more crisp looking than the other one.

Is there something I can add inside my xconfig to work on the sharpness? For instance, the windowmaker menu on the left screen (the more crisp looking one) the letters and words are sharp. When the menu is on the right screen, they are slightly blurry. Same goes with xmms, firefox and sylpheed.

Any ideas?

T.

frisco
September 7th, 2004, 16:08
One thing I noticed: One monitor is much more crisp looking than the other one.

Are both monitors the same model?

Are both monitors referenced correctly in your config file?

If both monitors are the same model, what happens when you switch the connectors around - does the sharpness switch too or is the same monitor not sharp? If the same monitor is still unsharp, flip through the configuration menu on the monitors, looking for any settings that are different between the two and setting accordingly.

If the monitors are different models, switch around the settings in the config file, switch the connectors, and restart X. Is the same one still unsharp? If so, flip through its menu and see if there's anything relevant.

If the unsharpness of a monitor follows the video card connection, then check that card's driver and see if there's any setting you can change to affect this.

If the same monitor is fuzzy independant of what it is plugged into, then that monitor is most likely going bad.

tarballed
September 7th, 2004, 17:51
Are both monitors the same model?

Yep. Exactly the same.

Are both monitors referenced correctly in your config file?

Yep.

Section "Monitor"
#DisplaySize 380 300 # mm
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "NEC"
ModelName "NEC LCD9V"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor1"
VendorName "NEC"
ModelName "NEC LDC9V"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

If both monitors are the same model, what happens when you switch the connectors around - does the sharpness switch too or is the same monitor not sharp? If the same monitor is still unsharp, flip through the configuration menu on the monitors, looking for any settings that are different between the two and setting accordingly.

Just tried this. Nothing changes. Switched the connectors, but the right monitor was still a bit 'fuzzy'.

If the same monitor is fuzzy independant of what it is plugged into, then that monitor is most likely going bad.

What's odd though, is that i have this setup on a KVM switch. Yet, when I switch to the Windows box, everything is nice, crisp and clear.

Whatever it could be, it is escaping me right now. I'm wondering if I need to add something to my XF86config...don't know though.

tarballed
September 8th, 2004, 14:19
After spending a better part of the morning, trying to figure this out, I still have had zero luck.

This is quite frustrating as this is preventing me from turning over to my *BSD workstation full time. The fuzzyness just drives me nuts. It's impossible to ignore.

Still going to see if I can do some research, but thought i'd ask here for any recommendations on where I might be able to find some fixes or additional tweak settings.

wish me luck.

tarballed
September 8th, 2004, 16:07
Never mind. Figured it out. Had to add quite a few options as well as turn off a few things to get it working correctly.

THE BLURR IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

molotov
September 8th, 2004, 20:06
Could you post what you had to change please?

tarballed
September 9th, 2004, 14:05
Could you post what you had to change please?

Sure. Here is what I added:

HorizSync 31.5-81
VertRefresh 50-70

This in monitor section, for both monitors.

In the device section:

Device1
Option "AGPMode" "4"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

I removed the VideoRAM specification. Seemed to cause problems.

Device2
Option "AGPMode" "4"
BusID "PCI:1:0:1"

I also removed the video ram as well

Also, under serverlayout:

Option "Xinerama" "on"
Option "Clone" "off"

Although it seems small what I did, this did the trick for me.

Hope it helps.

Tarballed