frisco
December 2nd, 2002, 13:42
hiya,

i have a bktr card in a 3.2/i386 machine. it works, i can use fxtv with it. but what i really need is a command line tool that will record from the card; i'm hoping to hook up the recording to a motion sensor. also, eventually i'll need two cards in the system but it seems that adding another bktr dev to GENERIC should handle this.

so, two questions:
anyone know a cmd line tool to record video from a video-in card?
anyone have success using OpenBSD with two bktr cards?

and no, the application isn't what you think, it's actually for an art installation piece.

elmore
December 4th, 2002, 15:46
D00d, awesome. I've never tried anything like this with OpenBSD. I think your best bet'll be bsdjunkie, he's moving of course right now so it might be a few more days until he can get back up on the board.

bsdjunkie
December 4th, 2002, 17:22
actually id love to help, but have never used those types of cards b4 =) I havnt heard of a program offhand for bsd, So i guess the best bet may be to search freshmeat for a linux prog and use linux emulation.

mcormie
February 13th, 2003, 20:32
You may have luck with mencoder, part of the mplayer package. It is currently in the FreeBSD ports tree, and has also been ported to Darwin.

I have used it under Linux and Darwin, but not OpenBSD.

frisco
March 12th, 2003, 14:40
You may have luck with mencoder, part of the mplayer package. It is currently in the FreeBSD ports tree, and has also been ported to Darwin.

I have used it under Linux and Darwin, but not OpenBSD.

i got mencoder to work on NetBSD with the following:
mencoder -tv on:driver=bsdbt848:device=/dev/bktr0:width=320:height=240:norm=NTSC:input=0 -o /data/video/tv.avi -ovc lavc

but the results were dodgy at best - often the encoding would halt after a random number of seconds. a friend of mine got it to work with a similar line under FreeBSD and didnt notice that problem, i believe.

it doesn't work under OpenBSD b/c the bktr driver is different compared to Net/FreeBSD. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to port; from what i've looked at OpenBSD splits the bktr driver files up whereas Net/Free have them all in one (plus name changes, etc). Maybe some kind soul will port that functionality over.

frisco
May 12th, 2003, 21:05
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-ports&m=105273044814123&w=2

Someone wrote what i needed. Videod does command line captures from bktr devices in OpenBSD.

I tried it at work on 3.2 with the following:
bktr0 at pci0 dev 10 function 0 "Brooktree BT878" rev 0x11: irq 5
bktr0: Hauppauge WinCast/TV, <no> tuner.
but it didn't work.

Of course all new ports should be used with -current, but instead i tried it at home running 3.3-stable and a:
bktr0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0 "Brooktree BT878" rev 0x11 fun=2900006<MEM,MASTER,CAPLIST,BACK2BACK_STAT,DEVS EL_MEDIUM>pci_mapreg_map: memt 1, memh e7799000, size 1000
bktr0: Warning - card vendor 0x1002 (model 0x0003) unknown.
bktr0: Pinnacle/Miro TV, Temic NTSC tuner.
and this time it worked.

Once i get back to work i'll try the other card on 3.3-stable as well, but i'm happy rigth now that i can get on with the original project.

frisco
May 12th, 2003, 21:07
Oh yeah, i should note that it currently does only still image capturing, not video capturing, though the to-do lists video capture as an eventual goal as well, and i'm a patient man.

cod3fr3ak
May 27th, 2003, 08:51
Whats a "bktr card"?

frisco
May 27th, 2003, 10:49
Whats a "bktr card"?

A card supported by the bktr(4) driver, which covers a variety of Brooktree chipsets. man bktr on an OpenBSD system for complete info.

They're cheap ($25 on up) and fairly popular.

frisco
October 17th, 2003, 13:11
xawtv was recently ported to OpenBSD as well:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-ports&m=106633718828451&w=2

i have it working on a 3.3-stable box, though some apps have some distortion. Don't know whether it's the card's fault or the software's fault, but i'll be testing it on a few more bktr cards i have lying around.