NullSpin
September 15th, 2004, 20:35
I have run across a very, very, very, strange problem. XP system, everything else seems to be running in tip top shape. In IE (whatever the newest patched rev is)the problem come up when filling out text forms on the internet. Whenever this person types in a text field such as the one i'm typing now it turns into extended ascii characters, the ones at the very top of the chart. Squiggle lines and such. Now if I drop into notepad it types fine. If I copy from notepad to the text field, the text remains the same. If lets say that text field appears in webmail and the pasted notepad text is recieved via email it still looks good. As soon as you hit reply or forward and the text is refreshed on a new page it becomes extended ascii.
I removed word as the html editor, no dice. I defaulted all options in ie, no dice. One more strange thing. The text in small fields for names or logins is fine. It seems to be limited to the larger text boxes.
I have googled the hell out of this and I just don't see anything out there. I'm not asking for answers how about helpful speculation? And to the person who is going to suggest a different browser..maybe firefox..yet it works without issue. Just the ie is flaking.
Any one got anything on this weird one?
Thanks
NS

Kernel_Killer
September 15th, 2004, 20:40
That is a very odd problem nullspin. Almost like some of your fonts are hosed.

You might want to check another forum that is more Windows based for a better answer. I hope that you get it figured out.

draconius
September 15th, 2004, 21:11
pics!

Amicus
September 16th, 2004, 00:39
sounds pretty crazy.... then again, IE does some crazy stuff.
I'd try turning off autocomplete and seeing if any language packs are installed. Maybe it's trying to put the form data into a non-US ascii set that's gotten mangled. Or maybe autocomplete is "helping you out" ...though it would probably fill out the form for you once you type the first few characters of a common word.

I dunno man, that's interesting. I'd check all the input locales/country codes and turn off what I could -- or maybe even change it to another locale and then back to see if it corrects itself.
Aside from that, take the microsoft approach and reload :silly:

NullSpin
September 19th, 2004, 21:53
The evil user had character encoding set to user defined. May no one else ever have to deal with that.
NS

Amicus
September 20th, 2004, 02:55
You need to pay them back for that somehow...I think some BOFH actions might be in order.