gorilla
September 18th, 2004, 05:38
Howdy all,

I have a new part-time job. I am a System Admin for a Small ISP-Hosting Company and all of the servers are running FreeBSD. WOO HOO!!!!! The really neat thing IMHO is that I am getting to install everything on these servers from SCRATCH. I am not having to worry about anybody elses goofs except my own.

As part of the perks, I am going to be allowed to put one of my boxes, or maybe two of them, in the rack somewhere. I am looking for opinions on how much I can put on this box without it totally over coming itself as I am still new about some of this.

The specs on the machine are AMD Duron 950, 256 megs of ram, 2 HDs, one of 18gigs and other is 13gigs, and a Realtek 100meg NIC. The spare machine if needed is an Intel PIII 450 with 256 megs of ram, 20gig Hd and Realtek 100 NIC.

Both machines are bare as of now and they have 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 installed on them with a stripped down kernels on them.

What I am wanting to do on the AMD by iteslf is to run an Unreal Tournament server on it with a Sniper Server and a CTF Server. Also I am wanting to run Apache on it to host the couple of personal websites that I own the domains to. Should I also run a MTA for the websites? If so, I am thinking about running Postfix with Spamassassin.

Will this totally over tax the poor AMD machine? Should I use the AMD as the game server and the Intel as the web server/mail server? I also have a Dual PII-450 that I can do something with too, any ideas?