Pleeb0101
September 26th, 2004, 09:33
Hello again! long time since I last asked questions here, but now I'm back again, been busy moving and stuff.

I'm still messing around with my shuttle-box with the nforce chipset. The thing is I suddenly can't get it to get on the internet at all. Named is up and running, ifconfig shows the interface looks normal. I can ping the router(defaultrouter in rc.conf) and various other local computers, it gets DNS when pinging anything outside the LAN, so SOMETHING is getting through, but then it's all
Ping:Sendto: No Route To Host.
I can't find anything on this with google, and I'm at a loss as to what component in the chain could be messing this up. ANY help GREATLY apprecieated, I really love FreeBSD and just want this server up and running asap!!

Thanks in advance
//Pleeb

molotov
September 26th, 2004, 23:52
I doubt this is it, but trying hitting a webpage from it. Some ISP's will block ping's but let other traffic through.

Pleeb0101
September 27th, 2004, 06:01
Nope. Didn't work. :0(
Any other suggestions? I don't know if I should post any .confs or so to help, but I'll be glad to post on request.

//Pleeb

molotov
September 27th, 2004, 08:35
well...
lets try your ifconfigs? I dont know what Im looking for just hoping something will jump out at me...

Pleeb0101
September 27th, 2004, 09:27
Always love the freebsd handbook! :0)

casually browsing around I noticed they mention that netstat -rn is a good starting place for solving No Route problems. Sure enough, after consulting netstat and man netstat, i notice my router is showing up as a single host and NOT a gateway. route add default 192.168.0.1 fixed it. It gets out now.

NOW: the real question is why is defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" in my rc.conf being ignored? Has anyone heard of this? It says right in the handbook that that's all I should have to add to make default route permanent and automatic, what other services/configs could make this not grab hold?

bsdjunkie
September 27th, 2004, 10:12
As far as I know defaultrouter="x.x.x.x" is all you need. Did you reboot after placing that line in rc.conf to force it to take affect?

Atlas
September 27th, 2004, 12:26
Are you doing dhcp configuration that could be overwriting that setting with some other nonsense?

molotov
September 27th, 2004, 14:16
Ive had this problem too, but it was hard to reproduce...
Sorry, I know that dosnt really help. What nic? and as Atlas said, any funky dhcp stuff?

Pleeb0101
September 29th, 2004, 01:36
Yeah, I've restarted a bunch of times, it's been in my rc.conf for months. I never did get DHCP working, so it's just regular ifconfig. It's a built-in Nforce network card. And it WORKS when you do it by hand.... really screwy problem....

Amicus
September 29th, 2004, 08:46
I setup one of these the other day. DHCP works fine, so does everything else related to the NIC. I used the nvnet src port and compiled the kernel module. I then edited /boot/loader.conf and added if_nv_load="YES" just like the README says and now on boot it loads the NIC, then does DHCP. Prior to editing /boot/loader.conf I had to do things by hand once booted.
Hope that helps.

Pleeb0101
September 29th, 2004, 13:27
if_nv_load="YES" has been there all along.... :0(
-----------EDIT----------------------------------
Sometimes you feel like a nut.

defaultrouter doesn't work if you haven't set up the interface first.
having

ifconfig_nv0="inet 192.168.0.55 netmask 0xffffff00"
defaultrouter="192.168.0.1"

suddenly fixed the whole thing..... GRRR!! Sorry for wasting everyone's time like this... ;0)

Pleeb0101
October 4th, 2004, 07:46
Hey again! Just a little info-update. I've re-installed FreeBSD on the shuttle now, partly just because and partly because I made a god-awful mess trying to get apache-modssl running in a chroot. After setting everything up I installed isc-dhcp3-client from ports and now the previous BPF/DHCLIENT problem I asked about in a different thread are gone. :0) Also getting the hang of the file-structure in freeBSD, previously the most confusing part of all the *nixes for me. Thank god for SE!

Strog
October 4th, 2004, 10:37
Hey again! Just a little info-update. I've re-installed FreeBSD on the shuttle now, partly just because and partly because I made a god-awful mess trying to get apache-modssl running in a chroot. After setting everything up I installed isc-dhcp3-client from ports and now the previous BPF/DHCLIENT problem I asked about in a different thread are gone. :0) Also getting the hang of the file-structure in freeBSD, previously the most confusing part of all the *nixes for me. Thank god for SE!

Very nice. I'm glad you are up and running well. While troubleshooting a troublesome issue isn't fun, I tend to learn how things work when I work through them.

If you are having trouble figuring out the layout of FreeBSD then you should check out the
man page (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.2.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html) for hier. It really explains what the various directories functions are and it will help you understand how things work much better. It took me a little bit to figure out the layout on BSD but I really appreciated it after I figured out how it's put together.