tarballed
October 18th, 2004, 12:58
Hey everyone. Have a quick question regarding portupgrade.

I've been catching some mailing lists posts in regards to people having problems properly updating the index files for portupgrade. There seems to be quite a few different ways to go about doing it, but each seems to have a potential pitfall.

I was curious what method people here prefer to use.

For instance: Do you just do a:

portsdb -Uu

or navigate to /usr/ports and type: make index

Just trying to figure out the better way to go about using portupgrade, especially on my production boxes.

Thanks.

tarballed

gorilla
October 18th, 2004, 13:50
One of the pitfalls that I know about is if you use a refuse file, you might have problems. I do not have any of the languages and I get errors using either one of your commands. I am not sure what to do about it.

tarballed
October 18th, 2004, 15:11
One of the pitfalls that I know about is if you use a refuse file, you might have problems. I do not have any of the languages and I get errors using either one of your commands. I am not sure what to do about it.

Ya. Unfortunately, if you do have a refuse file, portupgrade doesn't seem to work. I had to take out everything in my refuse file, except for the doc/* stuff with different languages. It was the only way I could get it to work correctly.

Also, this is what I did after I cvsup'd my tree.

cd /usr/ports
make index
portsdb -u

Seemed to work. Everything is looking good so far.

Thanks.

Tarballed

molotov
October 19th, 2004, 04:21
pkgdb -F
portsupgrade -aRru

Has always worked for me. Is there something Im not doing I should be?

gorilla
October 19th, 2004, 07:09
"portsupgrade -aRru"

Make I ask what is the benefit of using the R? Why would one want to upgrade stuff upward recursive?