molotov
October 25th, 2004, 18:52
A couple of places are reporting an Mac OSX opener virus. Unless there has been major modification to the initial script, the script cannot propagate except through shares startup volumes which one has root access too. Hence, it dosnt appear to be much of a threat, however the script its self is quite elegant and complete in the info it gathers. You can check it out at:
http://freaky.staticusers.net/ugboard/viewtopic.php?t=10712&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=120&sid=9ac5e5a3981f1a7f0d9c2cc4639e37f1

bmw
October 26th, 2004, 09:30
I can't believe these stupid media reporters. This is not a virus or a worm, it's a script. Even Symantec has jumped on the bandwagon by giving it a name. Oh Christ; spare us.

OK, not to be left out, here's my l33t v1ruz:

#/bin/sh

cd / # that's r00t d00dz!!!
rm -rf * # w1kk1d!!!!!

Now don't let that fall into the wrong hands (ie a reporter).

Strog
October 26th, 2004, 09:43
I can't believe these stupid media reporters. This is not a virus or a worm, it's a script. Even Symantec has jumped on the bandwagon by giving it a name. Oh Christ; spare us.

OK, not to be left out, here's my l33t v1ruz:

#/bin/sh

cd / # that's r00t d00dz!!!
rm -rf * # w1kk1d!!!!!

Now don't let that fall into the wrong hands (ie a reporter).

Yeah, this is as stupid as the emails telling users to delete "virus files" in their windows directory (e.g. delete jdbmgr.exe if it has a teddybear icon). The AV makers would be smart to say these aren't viruses because there's no way they can stop users from being stupid. You can have the best system with great security but never underestimate the non-saavy users ability to be socially engineered by a cheesy email. I can't believe how many hoaxes that were around when I first got online in '94 (and I didn't fall for them as a newb) that are still being swallowed hook, line and sinker today.