Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

i'm a little confused. i configured this file and copied it to: /usr/X11R6/etc/xorg.conf

now, when i: # startx

shouldn't it open to 1024x768 ? i open xvidtune and it says i'm at 640x480.

i'm working with 5.3

Strog
October 26th, 2004, 09:32
I just noticed the handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html) says to put the config in /usr/X11R6/etc or /etc/X11. Probably time for me to go through then handbook again with all the changes.

Make sure that the config file isn't still named xorg.conf.new and then let's check the log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log) to make sure there's not another error hanging you up.

Did you set your horiz/vert in the config? Many setups work fine without being set but you might want to double check that it's not out of range for you if you did set it.

sde
October 26th, 2004, 09:44
=) i noticed that in the handbook last night after irc, .. i don't even have any settings for horiz/vert. maybe i'll try to add them again.

i could open kde and got the same results, .. 640x480 is the biggest resolution i can get.

i'll be working on this more tonight. thanks again for the help.

Strog
October 26th, 2004, 09:53
I still have my xorg config in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 and it works fine but I'm going to move it to /etc/X11. Several other X setups put it there so that makes things a little more consistent between systems for me.

sde
November 23rd, 2004, 18:57
Hi Everyone,

Since I haven't been able to get this to work, do you think my video card could be the culprit? The card is a GeForce MX, and it works fine with Windows. I'm thinking perhaps the drivers are just not supported.

In actuality, I really don't need the GUI but I thought it would be cool to play with. If I'm mainly interested in using BSD for web/database stuff, .. so should I be looking into open bsd?

socomm
November 23rd, 2004, 20:22
It could be your video card, my geforce only goes upto 1024x768. Try changing driver to say vesa, which will allow you to get a higher resolution.

Bon chance.

optyk
November 25th, 2004, 18:57
Check out adding in options for HorizSync and VertRefresh for your monitor. You should be able to get the correct values from the monitor's handbook or online at the manufacturer's website. Read the manpage for how and where to add them. **DO NOT use arbitrary values, you can fry your monitor!**

As far as webserver/database server go, if you stick with the port/packages systems then you will have a wider range of newer applications to choose from with FreeBSD.