bsdjunkie
December 13th, 2002, 10:55
A guy here at work wants to check out openbsd as a firewall gateway, but i am not familiar with setting up PPPOE on it. Ive read a couple docs out there, but not sure which way to go about it. Looks like there is both kernel and user land drivers. Any Ideas??? :roll:

|MiNi0n|
December 13th, 2002, 12:22
I've done pppoe on OBSD a few times... only between 2.9 and 3.1. It works. I wouldn't say it works as well as one might like, but it works all the same. See this for more:

http://derbian.org/pppoe/

I could be mistaken but I believe userland is the only option in OBSD. Least, the man page suggests that:

BUGS
This is software runs completely in user mode. As such it will have much
more overhead than a kernel implementation.

There is lots of doco out there on how to set it up using /etc/ppp/ppp.conf. Just like ppp it can be set use dial-on-demand or manual dial or you can rig it to stay up all the time. A quick look to jog my memory and the following looks like a good candidate for setting up pppoe, including having it up 24/7:

http://www.realo.ca/BSDinstall.html

There are a few potential headaches involved, particularly if you converting a box that's already been on the Net. As I recall, gateway info needs to be empty (flush your routes out) for one.

Good luck. Lemme know if you need more help, something tells me that you'll do just fine though junkie :roll:

bsdjunkie
December 13th, 2002, 12:36
Ahh, i think your right on userland, i was thinking PPTP when i wrote that i guess ;) Thanks for links.

bsdjunkie
December 13th, 2002, 12:44
I dont think he will want that type or performance your link showed.. I think i remember another thread on here where someone had the obsd box as a transparnet bridge firewall behind the pppoe router. Was that everr successfully resolved?

elmore
December 13th, 2002, 13:21
Yeah I think so, wasn't that schotty? Just off the top of my head. I don't have time right now to search for it or I'd post with more clarity.

Anyways I recently used the link Minion's pointed out to setup a fw for my friends SOHO which, I have dial on demand configured. He's been running that for about 4 months now, error free.

He's fairly "challenged" when it comes to computers, so with a few handy startup scripts he's also able to treat his fw like an appliance. I'm sure I could post those if you'd like. Although, I have fairly limited access right now as I'm in the U.K. so it'll have to be next week. Cheers!

schotty
December 14th, 2002, 10:02
I dont think he will want that type or performance your link showed.. I think i remember another thread on here where someone had the obsd box as a transparnet bridge firewall behind the pppoe router. Was that everr successfully resolved?

That was probably me. But the one thing that I had that made life somewhat easier, was the hardware bridge/gateway that did the pppoe for me.

And that was mostly finished. I was laid off before some things were compled. They ran out of $$$.