Pleeb0101
December 15th, 2004, 07:27
I've googled around for a while about this, but I've found nothing about what I'm actually wanting to do... I've got a laptop with freeBSD and a swedish keyboard. Being that I've never actively used a swedish keyboard, I use an american layout. In windows I use the English - International layout so that I can still type in swedish(umlauts and Å's are made with alt+q/w/p alternatively by preceding the letter with quotation marks). I've been trying to find a way to do this in freebsd, but I've not seen anything similar to mapping for example alt+q to anything, only regular buttons and their shifted forms. Is it possible to do this? Or am I stuck learning the horrid swedish layout?

molotov
December 15th, 2004, 18:56
If this in X, read my howto in the howto section, it should cover you completly. If its not, let me know and Ill dig up the articles on rebinding keys for the console.

Pleeb0101
December 18th, 2004, 05:12
Thanks for pointing that out! I played around with it for the longest time, it turns out that there's a Mode_shift modifier that lets you assign a further 2 letters to each key, but I never could get Mode_shift to change to the key I wanted... It warrents more monkeying around I guess. In the mean time I've discovered that I've turned a blind eye to the English-ISO keymap which does exactly what I want, except the umlauts are placed a bit differently, but I'll learn soon enough. :0)

//Pleeb