soup4you2
December 20th, 2004, 09:34
So where have i been? what hole did i crawl into?

Well i've been reading my ass off..

Couple books i'll mention here.

The Tao Of network security monitoring (beyond intrusion detection)

Excelent book.. highly recommend reading it for anybody who wants to get involved w/ pcap files (tcpdump / ethereal) i have to say.. i had a lot of fun while reading this book.. and the chapter of sguil was perfect for explaining howto use it w/ my co-workers..

Buildiing secure firewalls with openbsd and PF

another must have book.. gives great examples of various setups. and talks alot about those PF features we use but dont really know what they do..

(damm i ran outta time.. i'll write up more later..)

elmore
December 20th, 2004, 10:24
I have both of these books and I'll ditto their effectiveness. A little criticism on Jacek's book, he doesn't go that heavily into NAT, in particular bi-nat which has some pretty cool functionality that's left out. He also abbreviates heavily on packet tagging which is something I am really really interested in. In addition the book already needs an addendum added to it since pf has added a whole slew of new features. But that's really not Jacek's fault.

I'm in the middle of Richard's book now. I'll post up more after I finish it.

soup4you2
December 20th, 2004, 20:22
I have both of these books and I'll ditto their effectiveness. A little criticism on Jacek's book, he doesn't go that heavily into NAT, in particular bi-nat which has some pretty cool functionality that's left out. He also abbreviates heavily on packet tagging which is something I am really really interested in. In addition the book already needs an addendum added to it since pf has added a whole slew of new features. But that's really not Jacek's fault.

I'm in the middle of Richard's book now. I'll post up more after I finish it.

I would agree.. i dont really think he mentioned the use of bi-nat at all.. also i felt he could have gone in a little more with authpf.. But as always there's just too much information to put into a normal sized book.. i mean if somebody slapped a book the entire size of the bratanica set on my desk i would laugh, and them toss it into the never ending stack of printouts on my desk.. only to get lost with last weeks lunch :)